India play Britain for podium finish; New Zealand-Argentina finalJune 3rd, 2012 - 2:51 am ICT by IANS
Ipoh (Malaysia), June 3 (IANS) India’s slim hopes of playing the Azlan SAhah Cup hockey final ended the moment Britain beat Pakistan 2-1, the finalist to play New Zealand was decided when Argentina got the better of Malaysia 1-0 in the last league match here.
Though the third match Saturday was inconsequential for New Zealand, who had already made sure of a place in the final, their loss to Korea by a solitary goal had some say in the classification matches.
After their victory over Pakistan Friday, there was a mathematical chance for India making the final provided Britain and Argentina lost their last round-robin games Saturday.
It was too much to ask for and they had to finish fourth in the table behind Britain who finished third with 11, one point less than the finalists.
For New Zealand, Sunday’s final against Argentina will be their first title fight in the tournament.
India, as Michael Nobbs said after their game against Pakistan, will be happy to be on the podium by beating Britain and finishing third. In the league game, the Indian were beaten 2-3 by Britain.
Korea will take on Malaysia for the fifth and sixth places while Pakistan finished last in the seven-team tournament..
Great Britain rallied well in the second half to overcome Pakistan after being down by a backhanded goal scored by Haseem Khan utilizing a Waqas pass in the first session.
Midway through the second half, Britain leveled the scores through a Barry Middleton goal. Four minutes from the the hooter, Ashley Jackon struck the winner.
A last-minute goal by Jang Jong Hyun, converting a penalty corner, saw Korea beating New Zealand who took things a bit lightly having already made the final.
Korea 1 (Jong Jang Hyun) beat New Zealand 0.
Great Britain 2 (Barry Middleton, Ashley Jackson) beat Pakistan 1 (Muhammad Waqas).
Argentina1 (Pedro Ibarra) beat Malaysia 0.
New Zealand: Played 6, Won 4, Lost 2, Drawn 0, Goals for 18, Goals against 18, Points 12
Great Britain 6-3-2-1-13-10-11
Sunday’s classification matches: 5-6: Malaysia vs Korea; (1-05 p.m. IST); India vs Great Britain (3-35 p.m.); Final: New Zealand vs Argentina (6-05 p.m.).
- Azlan Shah Cup: India lose 1-2 to South Korea, finish sixth (Lead) - May 15, 2011
- 1996 Olympics: Divided Indian hockey team make another poor finish (Sports Special) - Jul 21, 2012
- Azlan Shah Cup: India beat Pakistan to keep faint hope (Lead) - May 31, 2012
- 2000 Sydney Olympics: Controversies affect India's chances (Sports Special) - Jul 22, 2012
- Azlan Shah Cup: India squander two-goal lead, lose to Korea 2-3 - May 05, 2011
- Azlan Shah Cup: Rupinder drag-flicks India past Britain 3-1 - May 06, 2011
- 1988 Olympics: Another dismal finish for Indian hockey (Sports Special) - Jul 19, 2012
- Asian Games hockey: India knocked out by Malaysia's golden goal (Lead) - Nov 23, 2010
- 1992 Olympics: Indian hockey suffers due to indiscipline (Sports Special) - Jul 20, 2012
- Korea demolish Canada in Hockey World Cup (Lead) - Mar 07, 2010
- Final medal table at 2012 London Olympic Games - Aug 13, 2012
- India face Holland in Olympic hockey opener - May 22, 2012
- 2004 Olympics: Deja vu hits Indian hockey (Sports Special) - Jul 23, 2012
- Olympics hockey: India crushed 1-4 by South Korea - Aug 05, 2012
- Azlan Shah: India bounce back to beat South Korea 2-1 - May 25, 2012
Tags: argentina, ashley, azlan, cup hockey, four minutes, great britain, hooter, ipoh malaysia, jang hyun, june 3, league game, match, mathematical chance, minute goal, muhammad, pakistan, podium, second half, solitary goal, title fight