India placed in Pool D in junior hockey World CupJanuary 26th, 2009 - 10:08 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 26 (IANS) India have been placed alongside the Netherlands, New Zealand Singapore and Poland in the junior hockey World Cup from June 7-21.India are in Pool D of the 20-team competition which will be jointly hosted by Singapore and Johor Bahru, Malaysia.
Junior world champions Argentina have been placed in Pool A while runners-up Australia are in Pool B, the International Hockey Federation (FIH) statement said.
The Indian team finished fourth in the previous edition in 2005, but are hopeful of a better finish this time.
The team led by drag-flicker Diwakar Ram has been performing consistently over the last couple of months.
They beat Argentina and Netherlands in an away series before finishing runner-up to Australia in the Australian Youth Olympic Festival last week.
Coach A.K.Bansal said he was satisfied with the Grouping released Monday.
“Every group has got two good teams. Though the Netherlands finished seventh in the previous edition but they are a ery good side. New Zealand, too, are a strong team,” Bansal told IANS.
“We have been performing well in recent months and are hopeful of putting a good show in the tournament,” he said.
Pool A– Argentina, Belgium, Egypt, Pakistan, Russia
Pool B — Australia, Chile, Germany, Japan, South Africa
Pool C — England, Korea, Malaysia, Spain, USA
Pool D — India, Netherlands, New Zealand, Poland, Singapore
- Weather holds key in junior World hockey: Bansal - Jun 02, 2009
- Diwakar Ram to lead Indian team in junior hockey World Cup - May 19, 2009
- India open junior hockey world cup campaign against Singapore - Feb 12, 2009
- Gurjinder to lead India juniors in Sultan Johor Cup - Oct 18, 2011
- Indian women's hockey team in tough World Cup pool - May 04, 2010
- Indian team announced for junior women's Asia Cup - Jun 05, 2012
- Junior hockey world cup to start Sunday - Jun 06, 2009
- India face Holland in Olympic hockey opener - May 22, 2012
- Azlan Shah Cup: New-look India team has a lot to play for - May 04, 2011
- The boys deserved to finish better: coach Bansal - Jun 23, 2009
- Indian teams 10th and 13th in FIH rankings - Nov 02, 2011
- Celebrations as India hockey back in Olympic race - Feb 27, 2012
- Revelry as India in Olympic race, hard road ahead - Feb 27, 2012
- India's disastrous run continued in Monchengladbach (Eleventh and last of the series on Hockey World Cup) - Feb 24, 2010
- Have to peak at the right time: Nobbs (Lead) - Feb 20, 2012
Tags: bansal, diwakar, egypt, fih, flicker, germany japan, hockey world cup, international hockey federation, johor bahru malaysia, junior hockey world cup, korea malaysia, New Delhi, olympic festival, poland, pool c, runners, south africa, team competition, world champions, zealand singapore