‘India-Pakistan series bigger than Ashes’July 17th, 2012 - 8:34 pm ICT by IANS
Karachi, July 17 (IANS) Praising the efforts of the two countries’ cricket boards in reviving bilateral series, former Pakistan skipper and all-rounder Shahid Afridi said the popularity of India-Pakistan series is bigger than the Ashes.
Besides Afridi, Pakistan captain Misbah-ul-Haq said that fans from both sides of the border are always eager to watch cricket matches between the two arch-rivals.
Pakistan will be playing three ODI matches and two Twenty20s against traditional rivals India in December this year.
“The series between Pakistan and India is more popular than the Ashes series between Australia and England,” Afridi was quoted as saying by The News. “The matches between Pakistan and India are widely followed and people throughout the world are greatly interested in their matches,” he added.
“The pressure is great when we play against India but it is also more thrilling,” Afridi said.
The series will be the first bilateral series between the two teams since Pakistan toured India in 2007.
“It will be a great a spectacle for the cricket fans when the two sides face each other,” Misbah said.
- Pakistan team gets rousing welcome on return - Apr 01, 2011
- Pakistani cricket squad departs for Asia Cup in Bangladesh - Mar 08, 2012
- Afridi refuses to blame 'sluggish' Misbah for loss to India in WC semi-final - Apr 02, 2011
- It is an important match for every player: Misbah - Mar 27, 2011
- Kohli stars in India's record ODI chase against Pakistan (Roundup) - Mar 18, 2012
- Mohsin says he can get along with skipper Misbah - Oct 06, 2011
- Wasim Akram lashes out at Shahid Afridi - Sep 23, 2011
- Test skipper Misbah backs revival of Pak-India cricket - Apr 12, 2011
- Misbah not desperate to head Pakistan's ODI squad - May 30, 2011
- Sacking Afridi was a big mistake: Akram - May 21, 2011
- Afridi cites humiliation, declines to play under 'this PCB' - May 31, 2011
- Afridi to captain at World Cup - Feb 04, 2011
- Misbah should be Pak World Cup captain: Sikander Bakht - Jan 12, 2011
- Misbah replaces Afridi for Ireland ODI series - May 19, 2011
- Axe Afridi from captaincy, reshuffle Pak team: Sarfraz Nawaz - Dec 30, 2010
Tags: arch rivals, australia, cricket boards, cricket fans, cricket matches, england, india pakistan, july 17, misbah, odi, pakistan captain, popularity, rounder, shahid afridi, skipper, spectacle, traditional rivals, ul haq