India-New Zealand First Test: India loses both openers at lunch (Lead)August 23rd, 2012 - 1:53 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, Aug 23 (IANS) India were 97 for two at lunchon the first day of the first cricket test against New Zealand at the Rajiv Gandhi International Stadium here.
Electing to bat after captain M.S. Dhoni won the toss, the hosts lost both their openers before Pujara and Sachin Tendulkar denied the Kiwis a further breakthrough.
Pujara (12) and Tendulkar (12) were batting with caution after Virender Sehwag fell in the 15th over to a poor shot. The opener tried to dab a short of length delivery of Dough Bracewell but was held on by Martin Guptil in the second slip.
Sehwag, who got two lives, failed to control himself. His breezy knock of 47 off 41 balls included nine fours. He was dropped by Flynn in the ninth over off Martin. It was a tough chance for the fielder at square leg.
The opener got another life in the 13th over when a thick outside edge off Bracewell flew past to the boundary between wicketkeeper Van Wyk and skipper Ross Taylor. The two waited for each other to try. Earlier, in the same over Sehwag had struck two delightful boundaries.
For the visitors, Boult drew the first blood when he had Gautam Gambhir caught behind by Van Wyk in the 10th over of the innings. Gambhir too fell trying a poor shot off Boult. His knock of 22 include four hits to the fence.
After the fall of Sehwag, the Kiwi bowlers tried to put further pressure on India but Tendulkar and Pujara played with caution and prevented further damage. In fact, Tendulkar hit his first boundary in the last over before the lunch, after facing 38 balls. Pujara was more cautious with his 12 off 32 includes no boundary.
For the Black Caps, the seamers tried their best to make use of the swing in the initial overs. Boult and Bracewell were successful with a wicket eacch.
- India vs New Zealand; First Test; Lunch scoreboard - Aug 23, 2012
- Scoreboard of India's first innings against New Zealand - Aug 24, 2012
- Kiwis pin down India at lunch with double strike - Sep 03, 2012
- India vs New Zealand; First Test; Day 1 Scoreboard - Aug 23, 2012
- India vs New Zealand; First Test; Day 2; Lunch scoreboard - Aug 24, 2012
- India opt to bat against New Zealand - Aug 23, 2012
- Kiwi seamers test Indian batsmen (Lead) - Sep 01, 2012
- New Zealand choose to bat against India - Aug 31, 2012
- Kohli leads strong Indian response (Roundup) - Sep 01, 2012
- India vs New Zealand; First Test; Tea Scoreboard - Aug 23, 2012
- Scoreboard: India vs. New Zealand, Second Test, Day Two - Sep 01, 2012
- India vs New Zealand: Scoreboard at tea - Sep 01, 2012
- Raina, Kohli to India's rescue (Tea Lead) - Sep 01, 2012
- India vs New Zealand: Scoreboard at tea, second Test, day three - Sep 02, 2012
- Scoreboard: India vs New Zealand, Day 2, First Test - Aug 24, 2012
Tags: black caps, bracewell, caution, cricket test, first blood, first test, guptil, kiwi, kiwis, m s dhoni, pujara, rajiv gandhi international stadium, ross taylor, sachin tendulkar, seamers, sehwag, skipper, square leg, van wyk, wicket