India need a whitewash of Sri Lanka to be No. 1 ODI teamJuly 19th, 2012 - 9:30 pm ICT by IANS
Colombo, July 19 (IANS) India go into the five-match series in Sri Lanka with a chance to leap from their current fourth place to number one in the ICC One-day International team rankings.
India last held the number one position briefly in September 2009 but if they achieve a clean sweep against their hosts now, Mahendra Singh Dhoni’s side will unseat current table-toppers Australia.
The series, which starts in Hambantota Saturday, brings together the finalists of the 2011 World Cup, held in Mumbai last year. India won that match by six wickets to lift the trophy for the first time in 28 years.
After years of domination by Australia, the ranking table is now extremely tight after Michael Clarke’s team suffered a 0-4 defeat in England recently. Only two rating points separate the top four teams with South Africa and England sandwiched between Australia and fourth placed India.
The Sri Lanka versus India series again utilises the three grounds which are a legacy of the last World Cup. The first two ODIs are in Hambantota, followed by two at the Premadasa Stadium in Colombo, and the final match in Pallekele August 4.
Rank Team Rating
1 Australia 119
2 South Africa 118
3 England 118
4 India 117
5 Sri Lanka 112
6 Pakistan 103
7 West Indies 87
8 New Zealand 83
9 Bangladesh 67
10 Zimbabwe 46
11 Ireland 36
12 Netherlands 15
13 Kenya 8
- Sri Lanka moves ahead of India in ODI Championship - Nov 09, 2010
- India may slip to fourth spot in ICC Test rankings - Mar 30, 2012
- Dilshan, Tendulkar and Gambhir all rise in ICC rankings - Apr 04, 2011
- ICC announces 2012 World T20 schedule - Sep 21, 2011
- India drop to third place in ICC Test rankings - Jan 28, 2012
- McCullum, Ajmal lead World T20 rankings - Sep 13, 2012
- England maintain lead in Test rankings, India slip to 5th - Jul 14, 2012
- Test rankings: England on top, India third - Apr 07, 2012
- Younus Khan jumps 11 places in ICC rankings (Lead) - Dec 13, 2011
- South Africa aim for clean sweep to claim No.1 ranking - Mar 06, 2012
- India move to third spot in ICC ODI rankings - Oct 26, 2011
- England will get a chance to claim No.1 Test spot - Jul 14, 2011
- Pakistan cricket team to tour Sri Lanka in June - Apr 30, 2012
- Kohli starts series as highest-ranked batsman - Feb 04, 2012
- World champions India still second in ICC ODI team rankings - Apr 04, 2011
Tags: 28 years, august 4, briefly, clean sweep, dhoni, domination, final match, hambantota, india series, michael clarke, odi, odis, premadasa stadium, rank team, south africa, table toppers, west indies, whitewash, wickets, world cup