India makes minnows of Sri Lanka, wins 5th ODI by 8 wicketsJanuary 10th, 2010 - 10:14 pm ICT by ANI
Mirpur (Bangladesh), Jan.10 (ANI): Team India cruised into the Finals by convincingly beating Sri Lanka by eight wickets on Sunday here in the 5th one-day international of the Idea Cup at the Sher-e-Bangla National Stadium.
Chasing a paltry 214, the lowest total of the tournament by Sri Lanka, Dinesh Karthik and Gautam Gambhir almost sealed the deal when they took 86 off the first 10 overs.
India achieved the target with 17.2 overs to spare.
Virat Kohli remained unbeaten on 71 runs, while Gamhir scored 71, and Karthik made valuable 48 runs.
Earlier, put to bat first, Sri Lankan team could score 213 in 46.1 overs with the help of Sangakkara’s 68, Randiv’ 56.
Zaheer Khan was the pick of the bowlers, creating three of those opportunities. At one stage his figures read 6-2-11-2. Also, Khan received Man of the Match award for his splendid bowling performance in today’s match.
Zaheer Khan clinched 3/38 while Mishra ended with 3/40 bowling figures in their 10 overs quota.
With Sunday’s win India are through to the final and will meet Sri Lanka.
However, it is to play Bangladesh in its next match.
Team India’s victory on Sunday was also a sweet revenge for its five-wicket loss to the Lankans on January 5 in their first clash of the New Year.
- Asia Cup: Sri Lanka bowled out for 188 - Mar 15, 2012
- Asia Cup: Pakistan beat Sri Lanka with bonus point (Lead) - Mar 15, 2012
- India ride on Kohli and Gambhir's brilliance to beat Sri Lanka (Lead) - Mar 13, 2012
- India outplay Sri Lanka, enter final (Lead) - Jan 10, 2010
- Gambhir, Kohli hit centuries as India set Sri Lanka 305 to chase (Lead) - Mar 13, 2012
- Scoreboard: India vs Sri Lanka, tri-nation series - Jan 10, 2010
- Sehwag seals victory for India with bonus point (Lead) - Aug 16, 2010
- Sehwag denied century, but seals victory for India (Second Lead, superseding previous story) - Aug 17, 2010
- India bundle Sri Lanka out for 213 - Jan 10, 2010
- Scoreboard of India's innings against Sri Lanka - Jan 05, 2010
- Sri Lanka all out for 213 against India - Jan 10, 2010
- Scoreboard: India vs. Sri Lanka, ODI, tri-nation series - Jan 06, 2010
- World Cup final: Sri Lanka wins toss, elects to bat first - Apr 02, 2011
- Pakistan stretched by Bangladesh in Asia Cup opener - Mar 12, 2012
- Kohli stars in India's record ODI chase against Pakistan (Roundup) - Mar 18, 2012
Tags: 5th odi, bangla, bangladesh, bowlers, bowling, clash, dinesh karthik, eight wickets, gautam, kohli, mishra, new year, quota, sangakkara, sher, sri lankan team, sweet revenge, target, wicket, zaheer khan