India lose Sehwag early, trail Australia by 415 (Second Lead)January 5th, 2012 - 12:23 pm ICT by IANS
Sydney, Jan 5 (IANS) India lost opening batsman Virender Sehwag early and were 53 for one in the second innings, trailing Australia by 415 runs, at tea on the third day of the second cricket Test at the Sydney Cricket Ground (SCG) here Thursday.
Gautam Gambhir was unbeaten on 39 with Rahul Dravid on seven as India are struggling to save the Test match after Australia took a massive 468 runs first innings lead. India were shot out for 191 runs in the first innings.
Australia, resuming at overnight 482/4, declared their first innings at 659/4 with skipper Michael Clarke unbeaten on 329; Mike Hussey became the third centurion of the innings with 150 not out. Clarke and Hussey stitched a 334-run stand as Australia declared their innings an hour after lunch.
Clarke became the first cricketer to score a triple century at the SCG, which is hosting its 100th Test match. Clarke was five runs shy of Mark Taylor and Don Bradman’s 334.
Clarke got his maiden triple century just after lunch with a trademark flick off his pads off Indian pacer Ishant Sharma. Clarke dropped his bat after scoring the run and punched the air in delight earning a standing ovation from the SCG crowd that also included Australian Prime Minister Julia Gillard.
Australia resumed the day at 482 for four and none of the two batsmen were in hurry. Both Clarke and Hussey took their own time to find their way as Australia reached 583 at lunch.
Clarke surpassed Englishman Reg Foster’s 287 at the SCG in 1903-04, with a drive forward of point for four.
Hussey also joined the party and brought up his 16th Test century just before lunch off part-time off-spinner Virender Sehwag.
Clarke has now passed V.V.S. Laxman (281) to become the highest run scorer in Tests between Australia and India.
- Clarke, Hussey grind India (Lead) - Jan 05, 2012
- Clarke's triple century makes it tough for India (Roundup) - Jan 05, 2012
- Australia declare at 659/4 after Clarke's triple ton - Jan 05, 2012
- Lunch scoreboard: India vs. Australia, Second Test, Day Three - Jan 05, 2012
- Tea scoreboard: India vs Australia, Second Test, Day Three - Jan 05, 2012
- Ponting, Clarke double centuries put Australia in command (Roundup) - Jan 25, 2012
- Lunch scoreboard: India vs Australia, Second Test, Day Four - Jan 06, 2012
- Australia 482/4 at stumps on second day - Jan 04, 2012
- Tea scoreboard: India vs Australia, Second Test, Day Four - Jan 06, 2012
- Scoreboard: India vs Australia, Second Test - Jan 06, 2012
- Australia reach 349/4 in first innings at tea - Jan 04, 2012
- India 53/1 in second innings at tea - Jan 05, 2012
- Scoreboard: India vs Australia, Second Test, Day Three - Jan 05, 2012
- Clarke, Ponting pile agony on India (Lead) - Jan 04, 2012
- Clarke, Ponting virtually bat India out of SCG Test (Roundup) - Jan 04, 2012
Tags: australian prime minister, centurion, cricket test, cricketer, don bradman, dravid, englishman, flick off, gautam gambhir, julia gillard, mark taylor, michael clarke, mike hussey, own time, pacer, standing ovation, sydney cricket ground, test century, test match, third day