India knock out Australia in Jr Davis CupMay 2nd, 2008 - 9:55 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, May 2 (IANS)India whitewashed top seeds Australia 3-0 and will face Japan in the finals of the Asia-Oceania junior Davis Cup tennis tournament at the DLTA complex here Friday. Japan defeated Chinese-Taipei 3-0 to make Saturday’s final.
In what was seen as a tough draw, Saurabh overwhelmed Jarryd Chaplin 6-3,6-3, playing solid tennis and then Yuki Bhambri was no less authoritative against Australia No.1 Maverick Banes, winning 6-4, 6-1. Once the tie is decided, the Aussies conceded the doubles on medical grounds.
Saurabh broke Chaplin in the fourth game and thereafter the Australian made all sorts of mistakes to lose the set.
In the second set, the Australian did manage to give Suarabh some mid match jitters by playing a couple of close games, but eventually he had no answer to the Indian’s aggressive play.
World no 5 Bhambri was given a fright by Banes in the first set by effecting a break in the first game. Bhambri recovered to break back immediately and then he had the decisive break in the tenth game to take the first set.
Yuki riding high on confidence, being a set up, gave little away in the second. Still, the Australian with a powerful forehand did well to run close till he was broken in the sixth game. Yuki then won the set comfortably breaking the Australian again in the eighth game.
Howver, the result of the final will be of little consequence as the top four teams from the zone — Australia, India, Japan and Chinese Taipei– have already made it to the World Group finals to be staged in Mexico in September
- Davis Cup: Yuki gives India 1-0 lead - Sep 14, 2012
- India lose to China in Jr Davis cup - Apr 19, 2011
- Junior Davis Cup: India open against Chinese Taipei - Apr 17, 2011
- India go down to Chinese Taipei in Junior Davis Cup - Apr 18, 2011
- Yuki Bhambri and Rutuja Bhosale are new national tennis champions - Oct 15, 2011
- India relegated to Group II after Davis Cup loss (Lead) - Apr 07, 2012
- Myneni packs off Murugesan in ITF meet - Jun 05, 2012
- Chennai Open: Tipsarevic too good for Bhambri (Lead) - Jan 05, 2012
- Chennai Open: Yuki puts out fancied Beck - Jan 02, 2012
- Somdev, Yuki advance in Charlottesville Challenger - Nov 03, 2010
- National Tennis: Vishnu, Yuki breeze into semis - Oct 13, 2011
- Yuki overcomes Myneni, plays Vishnu in the final - Oct 14, 2011
- Davis Cup: Uzbekistan take 2-0 lead against India - Apr 06, 2012
- Mahesh Bhupathi opts out of Davis Cup tie - Mar 06, 2012
- Yuki advances; Vishnu flatters to deceive (Lead) - Jan 02, 2012
Tags: asia oceania, aussies, australia india, chaplin, chinese taipei, davis cup, davis cup tennis, eighth game, first game, forehand, jitters, little consequence, maverick, medical grounds, sixth game, tennis tournament, tenth game, winning 6, world group, yuki bhambri