India in quarter-finals of Jr Davis CupApril 30th, 2008 - 10:21 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, April 30 (IANS) Saurabh Singh and Yuki Bhambri Wednesday carried the Indian junior Davis Cup team to the knockout stage of the Asia-Oceania Junior Davis Cup, blanking Thailand at the DLTA complex here. The Indians, playing their last Group 3 pool match, won through 3-0 without dropping a set in hot, humid conditions in the national capital.
Saurabh outplayed Chanon Varapongsttikul in the first singles, 6-3,6-1. The Indian youngster’s big serve was the key, though the Thai tried to engage him to long rallies.
Varapongsttikul succeeded to an extent by rallying from the back court, but it was too much for him as Saurabh hustled him with his serve. Yet, to the Thai’s credit, he won three games.
In the second set, Suarabh was in total command and he just conceded one game before wrapping up the match in an hour and 20 minutes.
Bhambri toyed with Adirek Khundanpinitwong winning 6-2,6-1. The Indian was right on top from the moment he broke the Thai’s first service game and never looked like loosening the grip.
Yuki and Saurabh raced through the doubles, winning 6-0, 6-4.
After winning the first set in a jiffy, the Indian pair seemed to have taken things a little easy and the Thai pair, Phasawit Burapharittha and Channon Varapongsttikul, did well to snatch four games.
India seeded four topped their group, thrashing Singapore, Pakistan and Thailand to join Australia, Japan, New Zealand, Philippines, Thailand, Chinese Taipei, China in the quarter-finals.
India now will meet eighth seed China Thursday in their bid to qualify for the World Group.
The top four teams from the zone will make it to the World Group final in Mexico from September 23 to 28
- Davis Cup: Uzbekistan take 2-0 lead against India - Apr 06, 2012
- Chennai Open: Yuki puts out fancied Beck - Jan 02, 2012
- India relegated to Group II after Davis Cup loss (Lead) - Apr 07, 2012
- Davis Cup: Uzbekistan take 3-0 lead against India - Apr 07, 2012
- National Tennis: Vishnu, Yuki breeze into semis - Oct 13, 2011
- Junior Davis Cup: Yuki and Saurabh take India into semis - Sep 27, 2008
- Yuki overcomes Myneni, plays Vishnu in the final - Oct 14, 2011
- Tennis nationals: Rutuja stuns top seed Prerna - Oct 11, 2011
- Bhambri happy with performance - Jan 05, 2012
- Four Indians for Junior Australian Open - Jan 20, 2012
- Yuki Bhambri and Rutuja Bhosale are new national tennis champions - Oct 15, 2011
- Yuki in quarterfinals of ITF tournament - May 12, 2010
- Paes' Olympic partner hangs fire - Jan 01, 2012
- Yuki advances; Vishnu flatters to deceive (Lead) - Jan 02, 2012
- Yuki Bhambri wins maiden ATP Challenger singles title - May 20, 2012
Tags: asia oceania, channon, chinese taipei, davis cup, davis cup team, eighth seed, four games, humid conditions, indian pair, jiffy, knockout stage, quarter finals, saurabh singh, service game, taipei china, three games, winning 6, world group, youngster, yuki bhambri