India go down to Australian Development squad in hockeyFebruary 18th, 2009 - 7:59 pm ICT by IANS
Brisbane, Feb 18 (IANS) India went down 3-5 to the Australian Development squad at the State Hockey Centre here.
This was India’s first loss in the series after two wins against Australian state teams.
The Aussies scored through Jason Wilson (10th minutes), Nick Budgeon (22nd), Joel Carrol (27th), Liam de Young (52nd) and Mark Patterson (66th). The Indian marksmen were Sandeep Singh (16th), V.R. Raghunath (37th) and Tushar Khandker (64th).
The Australian Development squad is coached by Ric Charlesworth, who had a bitter relationship with India as its hockey consultant.
The match had a delayed start due to rain and was played under constant drizzle.
The hosts who led 3-1 at half time profited due to a lacklustre Indian showing both in attack and defence.
Jonathon Charlesworth intercepted a loose pass from Indian midfielder Prabodh Tirkey to set up striker Jason Wilson who shot past goalkeeper Baljit Singh.
India levelled the score six minutes later when Ignace Tirkey stole the ball from the rival skipper Liam de Young and sent a relay pass to Khandker through armyman S.V. Sunil. Khandker’s shot at goal was stopped by a backstick and the resultant penalty stroke was converted by Sandeep Singh.
Australia went ahead again after getting a penalty corner because of an erroneous clearance by Vikram Pillay. Budgeon flicked low to Baljit’s right to lead 2-1.
India muffed two opportunities to equalise shortly after when Sunil and Shivendra Singh fumbled inside the circle and then Khandker shot wide.
Australia consolidated their lead in the 27th minute after conceding a soft penalty corner to Brent Livermore. Defender Joel Carrol made no mistake from the set piece.
A heavy downpour at the break delayed the start of second half, but India began aggressively and reduced the margin from a penalty corner as Raghunath flicked past George Bazeley.
However Australia were again back with the two goal cushion when the overlapping de Young found the mark.
Khandker raised the Indian hopes when he was on target to narrow the gap.
However the hosts soon went ahead with Mark Patterson providing the finishing touch two minutes later to give Australia a 5-3 victory.
India will play their last match on the Australian leg here Wednesday when they will clash again with the Aussie development team.
- Indian hockey team lose both matches to Australian development squad (Lead) - Feb 18, 2009
- CWG hockey: India lost the plot early in the game - Oct 07, 2010
- India go down to Britain in Olympic warm-up hockey - May 04, 2012
- India beat South Africa 6-5 in hockey Test - Jul 09, 2012
- Dwyer to lead Australian men's hockey team in Olympics - Jun 18, 2012
- CWG men's hockey: Oz thrash India 5-2 - Oct 07, 2010
- India lose to Spain in second hockey Test - Jul 08, 2012
- India, Spain share six goals in first Test - Jul 06, 2012
- Champions Challenge hockey: India concede last-minute goal to lose (Lead) - Dec 05, 2011
- CWG hockey: India need to tighten defence in final against Australia - Oct 13, 2010
- India's men's and women's hockey teams chasing Olympic dream - Feb 17, 2012
- Sandeep, Sardar recalled in national team for Australia tour - Sep 29, 2011
- Azlan Shah Cup: Argentina end India's title hopes - May 30, 2012
- India are better than what scores might suggest, says Charlesworth - Oct 14, 2010
- Champions Trophy hockey: Australia beat Spain in final - Dec 11, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,