India go down fighting to England in World Cup squashMarch 8th, 2011 - 8:24 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, March 8 (IANS) Second seeded England survived a huge scare before winning 3-0 against hosts India in the Squash World Cup team championship here Tuesday.
The Indians, led by National champion and World No.24 Saurav Ghosal, extended the higher-ranked England in a marathon Pool B tie that could have gone either way.
Ghosal all but pulled off a surprise win against No.4 James Willstrop in the first singles match that lasted 61 minutes and went to five sets with the Indian losing 10-12 in the decider.
Ghosal had his chances, but it was Willstrop’s superior experience that eventually tilted the scales in the Englishman’s favour.
The second singles, a women’s tie, was easily won by Jenny Duncalf who took only 21 minutes to put it across Joshna Chinappa in three games to clinch the tie for England.
In the “dead” third singles, young Harinder Pal Singh Sandhu took the first game, but failed to sustain the momentum and lost in four to Peter Barker as England completed a 3-0 win, the margin hardly reflecting the closeness of the contest.
Meanwhile, third seeds Australia proved too strong for Mexico and came through comfortably 3-0 in another Pool B encounter.
Earlier, despite the presence of women’s World champion Nicol David, Malaysia could do little against the top seeds Egypt who came through 2-1 in their opening Pool A tie.
Egypt, in fact, did not play their star player World No.2 Karim Darwish and yet, were more than a handful for the Malaysians. World No.3 Karim Darwish and No.9 Mohamed El Shorbagy won their respective men’s singles matches while David provided the lone point for the Malaysians by racing through her singles match against Raneem El Weleily in just 28 minutes.
In another Pool A fixture, fourth seeds France blanked Sri Lanka 3-0 in a mere 51 minutes in a one-sided contest.
The results (League):
Pool A: (1) Egypt bt (5) Malaysia 2-1: Karim Darwish bt Muhd Asyraf Azan 11-5, 11-5, 11-1 (22mins); Raneem El Weleily lost to Nicol David 9-11, 6-11, 6-11 (28m); Mohamed El Shorbagy bt Kamran Khan 11-4, 11-6, 11-7 (39m).
(4) France bt (9) Sri Lanka 3-0: Mathieu Castagnet bt Navin Samarasinghe 12-10, 11-4, 11-0 (21m); Coline Aumard bt Sharya Guruge 11-1, 11-3, 12-10 (18m); Gregoire March bt Gihan Suwaris 11-2, 11-1, 11-2 (12m).
Pool B: (2) England bt (6) India 3-0: James Willstrop bt Saurav Ghosal 12-14, 11-3, 11-5, 10-12, 12-10 (61m); Jenny Duncalf bt Joshna Chinappa 11-7, 11-7, 11-9 (21m); Peter Barker bt Harinder Pal Singh Sandhu 6-11, 11-6, 11-7, 12-10 (48m).
(3) Australia bt (7) Mexico 3-0: Cameron Pilley bt Cesar Salazar 12-10, 11-8, 11-2 (38m); Rachel Grinham bt Samantha Teran 11-8, 11-8, 11-6 (35m); Aaron Frankcomb bt Jorge Isaac Baltazar Ferreira 11-8, 11-4, 2-11, 11-7 (47m).
- India suffer second defeat in Squash World Cup - Mar 09, 2011
- Egypt, England enter Squash World Cup final - Mar 11, 2011
- Egypt too good for India in U-21 Squash World Cup - Feb 02, 2012
- Punj Lloyd Squash: Egyptians Darwish, Shorbagy in quarters - Dec 14, 2011
- Squash World Cup: Malaysia shock France to enter semis - Mar 10, 2011
- Egypt beat India in squash World Cup final - Feb 05, 2012
- WSF Squash: India to meet Egypt in final - Feb 04, 2012
- Ghosal makes last 4 at Kolkata squash meet - Apr 02, 2011
- Nandrajog wins Coca-Cola Squash Open - Jul 29, 2012
- Inter-Institutional TT: Manika, Shamini, Mouma lose - Aug 26, 2012
- Inter-institutional TT: Most seeded players in pre-quarters - Aug 26, 2012
- Ghosal in semi-finals of Chennai Open squash - Mar 05, 2010
- Anaka, Joshna in last 8 of Chennai Open squash - May 23, 2012
- Suchde crashes out of Punj Lloyd Squash, Ghosal plays Tuesday - Dec 12, 2011
- World team squash: India lose to Italy in playoffs - Aug 27, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,