India gets first gold in CWG: Bindra, Narang win in air rifle eventOctober 5th, 2010 - 12:39 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Oct 5 (ANI): Olympian gold winner Abhinav Bindra and World Champion Gagan Narang won their first gold medals for India in the Pairs 10 m Air Rifle Mens event at the Commonwealth Games on Tuesday.
Bindra scored 595 and Narang scored 498.
World champion Tejaswini Sawant is also to be seen in action in the 50m 3P pairs event with Lajjakumari Gauswami. There are four gold medals to be won in shooting today.
In tennis, top-seed Somdev Devvarman will play his first-round singles match, while veterans Leander Paes and Mahesh Bhupati will play against Sri Lanka at the RK Khanna Tennis Stadium.
In boxing, some of India’s best pugilists, including Olympic bronze winning boxer Vijender Singh, Akhil Kumar, Suranjoy Singh, Jai Bhagwan and Dinesh Kumar will be seen in the ring.
On Sunday, President Pratibha Devisingh Patil and Prince Charles jointly inaugurated the XIX Commonwealth Games 2010 Delhi at the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium here.
The opening ceremony of the Commonwealth Games was marked by a cultural extravaganza, dance, music and fireworks.
Over 6,500 athletes and officials from 71 teams representing 54 Commonwealth member states are participating in the Games being held from October 3 to 14 in Delhi. (ANI)
- CWG: Tejaswani, Lajjakumari win silver medal in 50m rifle - Oct 05, 2010
- CWG: Bindra, Narang to lock horns in 10 m air rifles, 28 gold medals at stake - Oct 06, 2010
- CWG: Omkar Singh wins gold medal in 50 m Pistol - Oct 06, 2010
- Narang defeats Bindra to win gold in 10 m air rifles (Singles) - Oct 06, 2010
- Shooters, wrestlers bag 5 gold, 2 silver for India (Evening Lead) - Oct 05, 2010
- Anisa Sayyad shoots gold in 25m pistol in Commonwealth Games - Oct 06, 2010
- Junior world champion Noria replaces Rathore in CWG shooting squad - Sep 01, 2010
- Wrestlers, shooters shine on India's golden day (Roundup) - Oct 06, 2010
- Wrestlers, shooters make India's golden day - Oct 05, 2010
- Names of Indian medal winners at CWG - Oct 15, 2010
- Asian Championship: Bindra wins gold beating close rival Zhu - Jan 13, 2012
- Narang recommended for Khel Ratna, Zaheer for Arjuna Award - Jul 22, 2011
- Weightlifter Renu Bala Chanu wins ninth gold for India in CWG - Oct 06, 2010
- CWG Shooting: Gagan Narang equals world record - Oct 06, 2010
- Olympics: Shooter Gagan Narang opens medal count with bronze (Second Lead) - Jul 30, 2012
Tags: 3p, air rifle, akhil kumar, commonwealth games 2010, dinesh kumar, gagan, gold medals, gold winner, jai bhagwan, jawaharlal nehru, jawaharlal nehru stadium, leander paes, mahesh bhupati, opening ceremony, pairs event, pratibha devisingh patil, prince charles, pugilists, tennis stadium, world champion