India get berth in hockey Champions TrophyJuly 20th, 2012 - 8:36 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 20 (IANS) India, who were stripped as last year’s Champions Trophy host, have surprisingly been given a slot in this year’s tournament as the International Hockey Federation (FIH) decided to increase the number of participating teams from six to eight.
The Champions Trophy will be held in Melbourne Dec 1-9 at the State Netball Hockey Centre, the same venue that also hosted 2009 edition as well.
Besides hosts Australia and India, the other participating teams are Belgium, Germany, the Netherlands and New Zealand. Two teams are yet to be decided.
India last played Champions Trophy in 2005 as the hosts in Chennai when they finished 5th. They were also set to host last year, but FIH stripped India as the host due to the problematic governance of the sport.
The Champions Trophy will be the first major international men’s event after the London Olympic Games. The 2012 edition is also the last annual tournament as it will now be made a biennial event due to the impeding introduction of the FIH World League scheduled for 2013.
- India to host inaugural World Hockey League final - Feb 22, 2012
- India lose Champions Trophy - Sep 06, 2011
- FIH rejects HI-IHF unification (Lead) - Jul 29, 2011
- FIH frowns at HI-IHF unification, pulls tournaments out of India - Jul 29, 2011
- HI gets government nod for Champions Trophy, Olympic qualifiers - Jun 16, 2011
- FIH accommodate Pakistan in 2011 Champions Trophy - Dec 17, 2010
- India to host 2011 Champions Trophy - Jul 21, 2010
- FIH looks at India as a major hockey hub - May 11, 2011
- India to host four major hockey events in three years - Nov 12, 2010
- Sports Minister Maken will try to convince Negre - Sep 12, 2011
- Ritu to lead India in Champions Challenge 1 - Sep 10, 2012
- New Zealand replace India as hosts of 2011 Champions Trophy - Sep 13, 2011
- FIH to launch World League - Feb 22, 2011
- FIH expected to announce Indian TV rights deal - Oct 13, 2011
- HI charges IHF with sabotaging India's Olympic preparations - Oct 07, 2011
Tags: australia, belgium, berth, biennial event, chennai, fih, governance, hockey centre, hockey champions trophy, hosts, India, international hockey federation, international men, london, melbourne, netherlands, New Delhi, new zealand, olympic games, venue