India finally gets the right to host 2010 hockey World CupJuly 18th, 2008 - 7:21 pm ICT by IANS
By Avishek Roy
Hyderabad, July 18 (IANS) Ending months of speculation, International Hockey Federation Friday (FIH) finally confirmed that the 2010 men’s hockey World Cup will be held in New Delhi. FIH had provisionally allotted the World Cup to India and also put forward some conditions to be fulfilled, regarding the progress of hockey in country, before it finally allotted the competition.
Since then the Indian Hockey Federation (IHF) was superseded by Indian Olympic Association (IOA) and a new ad-hoc committee was set up to look after the game.
FIH President Els van Breda Vriesman along with other members had an extensive meeting with the ad-hoc committee led by IOA president Suresh Kalmadi here Friday.
“The World Cup will be organised as a joint venture between FIH and the Indian Olympic Association and all profits will be reinvested in the project promoting Indian hockey,” Vriesman told reporters here after the meeting.
“We are hopeful that the World Cup will serve as a catalyst for the sport in India and there will huge interest for the competition. The financial profits, if any, will not go into the kitty of either FIH or IOA but will be used for the development of the game in India”
Vriesman also lauded the functioning of the ad-hoc committee.
“They are doing a fantastic job. We are beginning a new chapter and we will not look at the past,” she said.
FIH has also decided in principle to allot the men’s Champions Trophy in 2011 and 2012 to India, subject to sponsorship and other arrangements and also to hold a women’s tournament in India in the next few years.
Kalmadi said that the World Cup will serve as a test event for Commonwealth Games and it will be conducted in the same venue, National Stadium, which is being renovated for the 2010 Games.
- Gill turns down merger proposal with HI - Jun 24, 2011
- IHF rejects IOA's three-member panel - Aug 30, 2012
- FIH decision unfortunate,uncalled for: IOA - Sep 06, 2011
- IOA president criticises FIH for taking away Champions Trophy from India - Sep 13, 2011
- K.P.S. Gill to chair IHF meeting - Apr 25, 2010
- FIH rejects HI-IHF unification (Lead) - Jul 29, 2011
- KPS Gill holds AGM of superseded IHF - Apr 25, 2010
- India to host inaugural World Hockey League final - Feb 22, 2012
- FIH frowns at HI-IHF unification, pulls tournaments out of India - Jul 29, 2011
- World hockey looking at India as major hub for the sport - Feb 27, 2012
- Sports ministry to evaluate HI-IHF power sharing formula - Aug 04, 2011
- IOA convenes HI-IHF meeting to address issues raised by FIH - Sep 30, 2011
- World hockey chief asks India to speed up work - May 05, 2009
- HI to act tough on Bhopal nationals' participants - Jul 04, 2010
- HC verdict reinforces our stand on WSH: FIH - Feb 15, 2012
Tags: catalyst, champions trophy, commonwealth games, els, financial profits, hoc committee, hockey world cup, hyderabad, ihf, indian hockey federation, indian olympic association, international hockey federation, ioa, joint venture, new chapter, New Delhi, speculation, sport in india, test event, van breda