India fail to qualify for junior world hockey medal roundJune 12th, 2009 - 9:22 pm ICT by IANS
Singapore, June 12 (IANS) India defeated Poland 4-2 in the last pool D match but failed to qualify for the medal round of the junior hockey World Cup here Friday.
New Zealand and the Netherlands played out a 2-2 draw to qualify for the next stage from the pool.
Netherlands win against New Zealand would have paved India’s way to the medal round.
Netherlands topped the group with 10 points, followed by New Zealand on eight points. India were placed third with seven points.
Indian skipper Diwakar Ram (50th min), Mohammad Amir (25), Pramod Kumar (29) and Victo Singh (70) scored one each while Krystian Makowski (41) and Piotr Kozlowski (44) slotted home for Poland.
India continued to miss scoring chances and failed to convert two penalty corners before Amir opened the scoring after latching onto a pass from Vikas Pillay from the right flank.
Pramod extended the lead, converting India’s third penalty corner to go 2-0 up in the breather.
In the second half, Poland showed more purpose and Makowski pulled one back before Kozlowski equalised through a short corner.
Diwakar handed India the lead and Singh scored just before the final whistle.
- India lose to Netherlands in junior hockey World Cup - Jun 11, 2009
- Azlan Shah Cup: India squander two-goal lead, lose to Korea 2-3 - May 05, 2011
- Weather holds key in junior World hockey: Bansal - Jun 02, 2009
- 2000 Sydney Olympics: Controversies affect India's chances (Sports Special) - Jul 22, 2012
- ONGC beat Air India to win Lal Bahadur Shastri hockey - Dec 03, 2011
- Men's hockey Olympic qualifier: Poland beat Italy - Feb 21, 2012
- 1964 Olympics: India regain hockey supremacy (Sports Special) - Jul 13, 2012
- Olympic hockey: A test of character for India - Aug 02, 2012
- Junior World Cup hockey: India draw against New Zealand - Jun 09, 2009
- Olympics: Shooter Gagan wins bronze, Saina advances (Intro Roundup) - Jul 31, 2012
- Diwakar Ram to lead Indian team in junior hockey World Cup - May 19, 2009
- Azlan Shah: India's medal hopes dashed as New Zealand crush them 7-3 - May 12, 2011
- India thrash Poland 4-2, face France in final (Lead) - Feb 24, 2012
- Olympics hockey: India go down 2-3 to the Netherlands - Jul 30, 2012
- Indian women beat Japan 2-0 in hockey World Cup - Sep 06, 2010
Tags: flank, hockey world cup, indian skipper, junior hockey world cup, makowski, match, mohammad, netherlands, penalty corners, pillay, piotr, poland, pramod kumar, second half, seven points, singapore, victo, vikas, whistle, world hockey