India eves in final of junior Asia CupJuly 6th, 2012 - 1:18 am ICT by IANS
Bangkok, July 5 (IANS) India set up a final clash with China in the final of the junior women Asia Cup Championship after they beat Japan 2-1 via a golden goal by vice-captain Poonam Rani in the semifinal here Thursday.
It will be the first time that the Indian junior women will be playing the final of the Asia Cup after four bronze medal performances. The win also guaranteed India an entry in the FIH Junior Women’s World Cup to be held next year.
Nine minutes into extra time, forward and vice-captain Poonam Rani scored a brilliant field goal to help India enter the title round.
Earlier, India rallied from 0-1 down to hold Japan 1-1 at the end of regulation time. Japan had topped Group B league while India had finished second in Group A.
Five minutes before the break, Japan took lead through a field goal by Yuri Nagai.
In the second half, India pressed hard and made some good penetrations in the circle.
In the 49th minute, India found the equaliser through a penalty corner conversion by Vandana Katariya.
India continued to play attacking hockey in extra time and Poonam Rani’s field goal ensured India entry in the final against China July 7. India won the bronze medal in the fifth Junior Women’s Asia Cup in Seremban, Malaysia. In the first semifinal match China beat Korea 3-2.
- India eves in semis of Junior Asia Cup hockey - Jul 03, 2012
- India women finish with silver medal at junior Asia Cup hockey - Jul 07, 2012
- Indian eves thrash Singapore 9-0 in junior Asia Cup hockey - Jun 29, 2012
- Indian team announced for junior women's Asia Cup - Jun 05, 2012
- India eves go down to China in Junior Asia Cup - Jul 02, 2012
- India beat Malaysia 4-1 in u-18 Asia Cup - Sep 22, 2011
- India bag bronze in four-nation women's hockey meet - Dec 19, 2011
- Indian men win bronze at junior Asia Cup hockey - May 13, 2012
- India in semis of junior men's Asia Cup hockey - May 07, 2012
- Indian women miss bronze in four-nation meet (Lead, With corrections) - Apr 16, 2012
- Indian women settle for bronze in hockey - Apr 16, 2012
- Indian women's hockey team lose to Argentina - Dec 15, 2011
- Asian Games: Ashwini Chidananda, Joseph Abraham win 400m hurdles golds (Evening Lead) - Nov 25, 2010
- Hurdlers Ashwini, Abraham; boxer Vikas Krishan win Asiad golds (Roundup) - Nov 25, 2010
- Asian Games football: Japan whip India 5-0 in pre-quarters - Nov 16, 2010
Tags: asia cup, b league, bronze medal, equaliser, extra time, field goal, golden goal, india entry, junior women, nagai, penetrations, rani, regulation time, semifinal match, seremban malaysia, time japan, vandana, vice captain, women asia, yuri