India drops to third in ODI rankingsFebruary 9th, 2009 - 8:04 pm ICT by ANI
Dubai, Feb.9 (ANI): India has slipped back to third in the Reliance Mobile ICC ODI Championship table following defeat in the fifth and final match of its away series against Sri Lanka.
Mahendra Singh Dhonis team had moved ahead of Australia and to within four ratings points of leader South Africa when it went 4-0 up in the series but a combination of Sri Lankas strong showing in the final ODI and Australia beating New Zealand in the third ODI of its ongoing five-match series has meant they have returned to third position.
That means that if India wins its series against New Zealand 5-0 it will move to 124 ratings points, which is not enough to overtake South Africa at the top.
In fact, by the current fixture schedule, only New Zealand can topple Graeme Smith and friends by the cut-off date of 1 April. But to do that the Black Caps need to win all seven of the remaining ODIs they will play before then, an ICC press release said.
The side that leads the listing on 1 April will be USD 175,000 richer while the runner-up will collect USD 75,000. The ongoing series in Australia and the upcoming one between New Zealand and India look set to determine where those pay-outs will end up.
At this stage, the best Australia and India can do is come second in the table. Even if Ricky Pontings team wins the remaining two matches against Daniel Vettoris men it will stay behind South Africa by a fraction of a ratings point.(ANI)
- South Africa aim for clean sweep to claim No.1 ranking - Mar 06, 2012
- India move to third spot in ICC ODI rankings - Oct 26, 2011
- India may slip to fourth spot in ICC Test rankings - Mar 30, 2012
- England secure top spot in ICC Test championship table - Mar 11, 2012
- Australia goes ahead of India in Test rankings - Apr 29, 2012
- India drop to third place in ICC Test rankings - Jan 28, 2012
- Test rankings: England on top, India third - Apr 07, 2012
- England maintain lead in Test rankings, India slip to 5th - Jul 14, 2012
- Indial slip to third in ODI ranks after loss - Mar 17, 2012
- Kohli starts series as highest-ranked batsman - Feb 04, 2012
- England will get a chance to claim No.1 Test spot - Jul 14, 2011
- India move up to second place in ODI rankings - Oct 25, 2010
- Sri Lanka moves ahead of India in ODI Championship - Nov 09, 2010
- Younus Khan moves up on rankings ladder - Dec 13, 2011
- India move ahead of England after 2-0 lead in ODI series - Oct 18, 2011
Tags: 1 april, black caps, final match, fixture schedule, fraction, graeme smith, icc odi, India, mahendra singh, new zealand, odi championship, odis, Press Release, reliance mobile, ricky, south africa, sri lanka, sri lankas, third odi, third position