India demolish Singapore in junior World hockeyJune 8th, 2009 - 9:22 pm ICT by IANS
Singapore, June 8 (IANS) Indian skipper Diwakar Ram pumped four goals to lead his side to a 10-0 demolition of co-hosts Singapore in their opening Group D encounter in the junior hockey World Cup at the Seng Kang Sports and Recreation Centre here Monday.
India, the dark horses in the 20-team tournament, pounded on Singapore with relentless forays right from the start.
Diwakar (15 min, 18, 29, 66) converted four penalty corners. Striker Danish Mujtaba (5, 51, 55), slotted three goals while Dharamveer Singh (26), Mandeep Antil (29) and Vivek (47) scored one each.
India earned two penalty corners with their first move of the match but squandered both.
Mujtaba then gave finishing touch to a fast move through the right flank to open the floodgates.
Drag-flick expert Diwakar then struck two quick goals in a span of three minutes, converrting the third and fourth penalty corners and India had a 3-0 cushion by the 17th minute.
The forwardline kept the pressure on the hosts defence and Dharamveer Singh scored through one such move. Singh trapped the ball from Manjit Kullu near the centre of the circle and scooped the ball inside the goalpost.
India then struck twice in the 29th minute, Diwakar converted the fifth penalty corner while Antil took advantage of a goalmouth meelee to sneak one past goalkeeper Foo Brian.
The writing was on the wall when the teams went to the break with India leading 6-0.
The second half saw India continue with the same intensity, but the forwards missed a few close chances and Diwakar wasted two short corners.
After a brief lull, Antil brilliantly dodged past a host of defenders from the right flank and gave a timely pass to Vivek, who tapped the ball inside in the 47 minute.
Mujtaba then found two more goals, one off a penalty corner to swell the lead to 9-0.
Diwakar converted India’s 10th penalty corner to make it 10-0.
India will take on New Zealand Tuesday.
- PNB XI to clash with ONGC in Nehru hockey final - Nov 24, 2011
- Indian men thrash Canada 15-1, women held by Ukraine (Lead) - Feb 18, 2012
- Olympics hockey: India go down 2-3 to the Netherlands - Jul 30, 2012
- Asian Champions Trophy: India rally to draw 2-2 against Malaysia - Sep 07, 2011
- Indian hockey team rout Belgium 6-0 - Jul 17, 2010
- Azlan Shah hockey: Clinical India beat Malaysia 5-2 - May 09, 2011
- Azlan Shah: India beat Malaysia to keep alive hopes - May 28, 2012
- Indian women beat Canada 4-1 in Olympic hockey qualifiers (Lead) - Feb 19, 2012
- Olympic qualifiers: Indian men thrash Italy 8-1, women beat Canada 4-1 (Roundup) - Feb 19, 2012
- Olympic hockey qualifiers: Indian men, women in finals (Roundup) - Feb 25, 2012
- Indian eves thrash Singapore 9-0 in junior Asia Cup hockey - Jun 29, 2012
- India in semis of junior men's Asia Cup hockey - May 07, 2012
- Indian women's hockey team thrashed 2-5 by Australia - Apr 19, 2012
- India suffer humiliating 1-3 loss to Pakistan in Azlan Shah Hockey (Lead) - May 11, 2011
- Haryana beat Karnataka 2-1 to lift national hockey title (Lead) - Jun 20, 2011
Tags: antil, dark horses, finishing touch, first move, flank, forays, goalpost, hockey world cup, indian skipper, junior hockey world cup, kullu, lull, mujtaba, penalty corners, recreation centre, seng kang, sports and recreation, three minutes, vivek, world hockey