India Day Parade fills New York with its sights, sounds and starsAugust 20th, 2012 - 10:21 pm ICT by IANS
New York, Aug 20 (IANS) Thousands of people watched as the sights and sounds of India took over Manhattan’s Madison Avenue for the India Day Parade led by Bollywood star Saif Ali Khan and cricketer Anil Kumble.
Saif, dressed in a crisp white kurta-pyjama as the grand marshal of the 32nd India Day Parade Sunday, waved to fans as the procession made its way over blocks with dancing, costumes and floats.
The Bollywood actor said he was proud to be a representative of India at the parade, an annual feature of the city’s cultural scene organised by the Federation of Indian Associations (FIA) to mark India’s Aug 15 Independence Day.
“Whatever fame we have is because of the movie industry and I am happy to see such a massive outpouring of love here. I want my fans in the US to know that we love them and are thankful to them and I hope they continue to enjoy our films,” he said.
Spin bowler Kumble, who was the guest of honour, said it was a matter of pride for him to be part of one of the biggest Independence Day events outside India.
“Indians have made cricket popular in the US and I hope America too becomes an important member of the cricketing fraternity,” he said.
A replica of the Cricket World T20 Trophy was featured at the parade.
India’s Consul General Prabhu Dayal joined Saif on the lead float as a contingent of the New York Police Department led the three-hour long parade while Indian-Americans wearing tri-colour sashes waved the Indian flag and patriotic Indian music filled the air.
Members of one performing group, the Swamibapa Pipe Band from Secaucus, New Jersey, wore plaid kilts as they marched and played bagpipes and drums.
Hundreds of New Yorkers joined thousands of Indian Americans who had come from neighbouring New Jersey and Connecticut to watch the parade showcasing India’s cultural heritage and diversity.
Last year, Bollywood actor Rani Mukherjee was the grand marshal of the parade.
- Indian Americans celebrate I-Day with colourful parades - Aug 15, 2012
- Indian-Americans celebrate I-day while Sunita greets from space (Lead) - Aug 15, 2012
- Vinod Khanna leads Long Island's first India Day Parade (With images) - Aug 13, 2012
- Indians in US celebrate a rainy Independence Day - Aug 16, 2010
- When Miss New York crashed Miss USA float in Thanksgiving Day Parade - Nov 27, 2010
- Poll panel showcases ballot power in R-Day parade (Lead) - Jan 26, 2012
- Dravid role model for young cricketers: Kumble - Mar 09, 2012
- India makes a statement as Games draw to memorable close (Roundup) - Oct 15, 2010
- Two Indian Americans held for fake perfume trafficking - Dec 06, 2011
- India's 62nd Republic Day parade begins - Jan 26, 2011
- Bollywood actress Shilpa Shetty wows fans at India Day Parade and Festival in New York - Aug 17, 2009
- Indian culture, military might unfold at R'Day (Second Lead) - Jan 26, 2011
- India celebrates 63rd Republic Day - Jan 26, 2012
- Myntra ventures into Bollywood, joins hands with 'Cocktail' - Jul 08, 2012
- India celebrates 62nd R'Day, military might on show (Roundup) - Jan 26, 2011
Tags: air members, Anil Kumble, bollywood actor, bollywood star, consul general, cricket world, dayal, grand marshal, guest of honour, indian associations, indian flag, kurta pyjama, massive outpouring, matter of pride, new york police, new york police department, saif ali khan, secaucus new jersey, sounds of india, york police department