India coach names final squad for Nehru CupAugust 19th, 2012 - 5:22 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 19 (IANS) India’s national football coach Wim Koevermans has named a 20-member final list for the Nehru Cup which kicks off at the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium here Aug 22.
The team is presently camping at Jaypee Greens, Greater Noida.
“I’m confident in the abilities of my boys,” Koevermans said. “The practice sessions have been good. It’s nice to see the boys pushing each other.”
The list includes two India U-22 boys - Alwyn George and Manandeep Singh, who played in the AFC U-22 Championship in Muscat.
“It’s a dream come true for me,” said Alwyn. “The camp sessions have been an education for me and I’m maturing fast as a player.”
Manandeep, who had made his India debut earlier this year, said: “This is a new challenge for me. As a player, one needs to be flexible to adjust yourself in different situations. I’m trying my best and learning at every step.”
Defending champions India take on Syria in the opening match of the tournament Aug 22.
The 20-member list is as follows:
Goalkeepers: Subrata Pal, Subhasish Roychowdhury, Karanjeet Singh.
Defenders: Nirmal Chhetri, Denzil Franco, Gourmangi Singh, Gurwinder Singh, Raju Gaikwad, Syed Rahim Nabi.
Midfielders: Lenny Rodrigues, Mehtab Hossain, Jewel Raja, Francis Fernandes, Alwyn George, Anthony Pereira, Sanju Pradhan, Clifford Miranda.
Forwards: Robin Singh, Sunil Chhetri, Manandeep Singh.
- Koevermans includes Chettri in Nehru Cup probables - Aug 07, 2012
- Koevermans names 37 probables for Nehru Cup - Jul 06, 2012
- Tough for India to make Nehru Cup hat-trick - Aug 21, 2012
- India lift Nehru Cup for third time in thrilling fashion (Lead) - Sep 02, 2012
- Nehru Cup: India held to a goalless draw by Nepal - Aug 28, 2012
- India and Cameroon will be on a recce before Nehru Cup final (Preview) - Aug 30, 2012
- India getting used to Koevermans' style: Mehtab - Aug 27, 2012
- Climax was rested, not dropped: Savio - Feb 01, 2012
- Wim Koevermans unveiled as new Indian football coach - Jun 15, 2012
- We need to understand what the coach wants: Chhetri - Aug 21, 2012
- Nehru Cup: Cameroon edge India 1-0 - Aug 31, 2012
- Arnab, Clifford ruled out from AFC Challenge Cup - Mar 02, 2012
- Sunil Chettri to lead India in AFC Challenge Cup - Mar 05, 2012
- Jeje to lead India U-22 in AFC Championship qualifiers - Jun 20, 2012
- Armando drops Bhaichung along with 11 seniors from World Cup probables - Jun 02, 2011
Tags: camp sessions, denzil, football coach, hossain, jawaharlal nehru, jawaharlal nehru stadium, jaypee greens, koevermans, mehtab, midfielders, muscat, nabi, nehru cup, new challenge, player one, practice sessions, rahim, raju, robin singh, sanju