India claim Asiad hockey bronze (Afternoon Lead)November 25th, 2010 - 3:16 pm ICT by IANS
Guangzhou, Nov 25 (IANS) After losing to Malaysia in a match that was virtually in their pocket, India redeemed themselves somewhat by claiming the men’s hockey bronze at the Asian Games here Thursday, defeating South Korea 1-0.
Tushar Khandekar scored a field gold in the 39th minute at the Aoti Hockey Field to give India its second Asian Games hockey bronze after 1986.
India were leading 3-2 in the semifinals Tuesday before Malaysia got the equaliser three minutes from time and went on to win via a golden goal.
Grapplers Rajiv Tomar and Nirmala Devi crashed out of the wrestling competition Thursday, but Mausam Khatri still has a chance of winning the bronze medal as he made it to the repechage round.
Mausam Khatri lost 1-3 to Taimuraz Tigiyev of Kazakhstan in the men’s 96 kg freestyle prequarterfinals at the Huagong Gymnasium.
The Indian, however, made it to the repachage round as Tigiyev lost 0-5 to Reza Yazdani of Iran in the quarterfinals.
Later Thursday, Khatri will face Syrian Alkarrad Raja in the repechage round and if he wins, will get a place in the bronze medal match against South Korean Jaegang Kim.
Meanwhile, Rajeev lost 1-3 to Aiaal Lazarev of Kyrgystan in the 120kg freestyle pre-quarterfinals.
Nirmala, a silver medallist at the Delhi Commonwealth Games, lost 1-3 to Zhuldyz Eshimova of Kazakhstan in the women’s 48kg pre-quarterfinals.
The Indian women beat Maldives 3-0 to finish ninth in the volleyball competition.
The Indians did not face much resistance from the Maldives and won 25-4, 25-5, 25-7 in 46 minutes at the Guangwai Gymnasium.
The women’s only win the in the preliminary rounds also came against Maldives. India had lost to Chinese Taipei, North Korea, Japan and Kazakhstan.
The men’s team will play China for the fifth and sixth positions Friday.
- Asian Games wrestling: Tomar and Nirmala out; Mausam in repechage - Nov 25, 2010
- Asian Games wrestling: Mausam Khatri wins bronze in freestyle - Nov 25, 2010
- Asian Games: Ashwini Chidananda, Joseph Abraham win 400m hurdles golds (Evening Lead) - Nov 25, 2010
- Hurdlers Ashwini, Abraham; boxer Vikas Krishan win Asiad golds (Roundup) - Nov 25, 2010
- Indian wrestlers Yogeshwar, Amit book London berth, Sushil fails (Lead) - Mar 30, 2012
- Olympic wrestling: Yogeshwar Dutt leads Indian challenge (Overall India Roundup) - Aug 11, 2012
- Olympic wrestling: India's Yogeshwar in repechage (Second Lead) - Aug 11, 2012
- Olympic wrestling: Indian wrestlers Amit Kumar, Narsingh Yadav out (India Intro Roundup) - Aug 11, 2012
- Olympic wrestling: Amit's bronze medal hopes alive, Yadav out (India Roundup) - Aug 10, 2012
- Olympic wrestling: India's Yogeshwar in second repechage (Third Lead) - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympic wrestling: India's Yogeshwar a win away from bronze (Fourth Lead) - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympics wrestling: India's Yogeshwar inches closer to bronze medal (Fifth Lead, correcting Intro) - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympic wrestling: India's Yogeshwar loses in pre-quarters (Lead) - Aug 11, 2012
- Olympics: All eyes on Sushil after Yogeshwar's bronze (Overall India Roundup) - Aug 12, 2012
- Asian Games: Four bronzes for India on day four (Roundup) - Nov 16, 2010
Tags: asian games, bronze medal, chinese taipei, commonwealth games, golden goal, hockey field, india claim, indian women, khatri, korea japan, kyrgystan, lazarev, mausam, nirmala devi, quarterfinals, rajiv, reza yazdani, silver medallist, tushar, volleyball competition