India bow out of AFC Challenge CupMarch 11th, 2012 - 9:59 pm ICT by IANS
Kathmandu, March 11 (IANS) India bowed out of the AFC Challenge Cup when they went down fighting to the Philippines 0-2 in their second encounter of the tournament here Sunday. Philip James Younghusband scored a brace for the Philippines in the 10th and 74th minutes.
Both teams started aggressively, playing good counter-attacking football. But it was Younghusband who was able to cash in and put his team in the lead in the 10th minute.
Down by an early goal, India tried to pull things back. But despite dominating the first half, the midfield failed to turn the table, they kept losing the ball and it didn’t help the cause. The Indians did break into the rival box quite a few times but were unable to take a shot at the rival goal.
Changing over, the story stayed the same. Philippines doubled their lead in 74th minute, Younghusband scoring his second goal.
The Indians did pass well among themselves but there wasn’t much creativity. Apart from a Sushil Singh run down the right which captain Sunil Chhetri failed to tap in from close, there weren’t many chances that came India’s way.
This was Philippines first victory in the tournament while for India, this was the second successive loss. They now play DPR Korea Tuesday.
- India out of AFC U-22 Championship - Jul 04, 2012
- Nehru Cup: India dismantle Maldives, go top of the table - Aug 25, 2012
- AFC Challenge Cup: Tajikistan beat India 2-0 - Mar 09, 2012
- AFC Challenge Cup: India set for Philippines Challenge - Mar 10, 2012
- AFC Challenge Cup: India end campaign with 0-4 loss to North Korea - Mar 13, 2012
- AFC Challenge Cup: India enjoy psychological advantage against Tajikistan - Mar 08, 2012
- Services scrape past Kerala to enter Santosh Trophy final - May 25, 2012
- Nehru Cup: India scrape through 2-1 against Syria - Aug 22, 2012
- India U-16 lose second football friendly - Sep 12, 2012
- India lose to Oman 1-5 in football - Feb 23, 2012
- India beat Afghanistan to retain SAFF Cup - Dec 11, 2011
- Indian women settle for bronze in hockey - Apr 16, 2012
- Dutch title race wide open after defeats of PSV and AZ - Feb 20, 2012
- ASEAN Cup: India knocked out by Vietnam - Jul 14, 2012
- India lift Nehru Cup for third time in thrilling fashion (Lead) - Sep 02, 2012