India bids for 2015 Club World Cup, U-17 World Cup in 2017March 9th, 2012 - 10:48 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 9 (IANS) All India Football Federation (AIFF) president Praful Patel launched the country’s bid to host the prestigious 2015 Club World Cup and the 2017 U-17 World Cup in the presence of FIFA president Sepp Blatter here Friday.
While FIFA in January had already agreed in principle to award the Under-17 World Cup to India, AIFF’s decision to bid for the Club World Cup came as a surprise. The decision on the hosts of the two tournament would be taken later this month by the FIFA executive committee in Zurich.
Blatter, who was on his second visit to India, said that country enjoys his blessings to host the U-17 World Cup since it would be a step in the right direction.
“The U-17 World Cup fits India’s scheme of things. It will be a step in the right direction in terms of grass roots development. There is a good possibility. But I am not the only one in FIFA who decides.
“The decision has to be taken by the executive committee of the FIFA. But India have to start working now with the U-12 teams,” said Blatter, flanked by two executive committee members Zhang Zilong, also the president of the Asian Football Confederation (AFC), and Manilal Fernando.
Blatter was non-committal about the prestigious Club World Cup, but said: “Why not? There is a possibility that the tournament will be played in Asia. The present Indian clubs doesn’t match the standards. But if it is played in India then the country’s top team will play in the tournament.”
Patel told Blatter that he would get all the bid papers before leaving the country.
“Mr. Blatter, I assure you will get all the bid papers before leaving India. The AIFF will put in its best efforts to get the two tournaments,” he said.
- FIFA president Sepp Blatter to visit India next month - Feb 13, 2012
- Sleeping giant India is slowly waking up: Blatter - Mar 09, 2012
- India could host FIFA U-17 World Cup, government assures support (Lead) - Jan 30, 2012
- FIFA president Sepp Blatter arrives in India - Mar 09, 2012
- FIFA is keen on India bidding for Under-17 World Cup - Jan 30, 2012
- FIFA support India for U-17 and 2022 World Cup - Sep 05, 2012
- FIFA raises 2014 World Cup concerns with Brazil - Dec 17, 2011
- FIFA chief Blatter pays tribute to Sailen Manna - Feb 28, 2012
- India must develop football infrastructure: FIFA official - May 07, 2011
- FIFA boss Sepp Blatter sorry for 'gay' remarks - Dec 18, 2010
- Russia plans to host 2018 FIFA World Cup in 13 cities - May 07, 2011
- UEFA congress begins in Istanbul - Mar 22, 2012
- Blatter facing challenge from Qatari rival to hold onto his position as FIFA chief - Jan 06, 2011
- Medvedev thanks FIFA for choosing Russia as host country for 2018 World Cup - Dec 06, 2010
- World Cup 2022 Bid Won By Qatar, USA Fumes - Dec 03, 2010
Tags: afc, aiff, asian football confederation, best efforts, blessings, club world cup, committal, executive committee members, fifa executive committee, football federation, grass roots development, hosts, indian clubs, New Delhi, praful patel, prestigious club, principle, scheme of things, step in the right direction, zurich