India beaten 1-2 by Spain in tri-nation meetJuly 19th, 2012 - 8:06 pm ICT by IANS
Santander (Spain), July 19 (IANS) India lost 1-2 to host Spain in the final league match of the Tri-Nation invitational hockey tournament, the final warm-up event ahead of the Olympic Games.
India started well and thwarted the home team several times in the first half during the match held here late Wednesday.
India goalkeeper P.R. Sreejesh pulled off a good save, sweeping the ball off the goal-line after having initially parried a David Alegre hit.
After being locked 0-0 at half time, Spain took advantage of Sardar Singh’s injury - he was off the field for nearly 20 minutes - and gained the lead in the 42nd minute through a penalty corner converted by David Alegre.
Miquel Delas scored another penalty corner goal for Spain in the 61st minute. India reduced the margin in the 64th minute with the penalty corner converted by V.R. Raghunath.
Great Britain won the tournament with two victories while Spain finished second. The Indian team will leave Spain Friday for the Olympic Games in London.
- India lose to Britain in tri-nation hockey - Jul 15, 2012
- India beat South Africa 6-5 in hockey Test - Jul 09, 2012
- India, Spain share six goals in first Test - Jul 06, 2012
- India go down to Britain in Olympic warm-up hockey - May 04, 2012
- Hockey: Karnataka play Punjab, Jharkhand face Harayana in semis (Roundup) - Jun 17, 2011
- Olympic hockey: India lose to SA, finish 12th - Aug 11, 2012
- Azlan Shah Cup: Argentina end India's title hopes - May 30, 2012
- Hockey: Karnataka win through Raghunath's golden goal (Lead) - Jun 16, 2011
- Olympics hockey: India suffer another reverse, lose 1-3 to Kiwis - Aug 01, 2012
- Azlan Shah Cup: India narrowly go down to Britain - May 27, 2012
- Haryana beat Karnataka 2-1 to lift national hockey title (Lead) - Jun 20, 2011
- Champions Challenge hockey: India concede last-minute goal to lose (Lead) - Dec 05, 2011
- Olympic hockey qualifiers: Indian men, women in finals (Roundup) - Feb 25, 2012
- India lose to Spain in second hockey Test - Jul 08, 2012
- India trounce China 5-0 in Asian Champions hockey - Sep 03, 2011
Tags: corner goal, delas, goal line, goalkeeper, great britain, hockey tournament, India, london, match, miquel, olympic games, raghunath, santander spain, sardar singh, several times, time spain, tri nation