India beat South Africa 6-5 in hockey TestJuly 9th, 2012 - 8:23 pm ICT by IANS
La Albericia (Spain), July 9 (IANS) India defeated South Africa 6-5 in a thrilling third hockey Test here Sunday night.
Strikers Shivendra Singh (13th, 38th minute), Dharamvir Singh (19th, 21st minute), Tushar Khandker (36th minute) and penalty corner specialist V.R. Raghunath (penalty stroke 53rd minute) were on target for India.
The goal-scorers for South Africa were Austin Smith (penalty stroke 17th, penalty corner 69th), Tim Drummond (42nd), Ian Haley (48th) and Justin Ried Ross (penalty corner 67th).
Shivendra put India ahead in the 13th minute, scoring a field goal. South Africa, who qualified for the London Olympics winning the last qualifier at Kakamigahara in Japan, equalised four minutes later through Smith, who converted a penalty stroke.
South African’s then played a defensive game, but some sharp moves by the Indians helped forward Dharamvir score twice in the span of three minutes. India led 3-1 at half time.
India added two more after the lemon break, with field goals from Khandker (36th minute) and Shivendra (38th minute). South Africa reduced the margin through Drummond and Haley in the 42nd and 48th minutes, respectively (5-3).
India added one more in the 53rd minute through a penalty stroke by Raghunath, while the opponents converted two penalty corners in the final minutes of the match to round off a 5-6 finish. India will now play South Africa again Wednesday.
- Olympic hockey: India lose to SA, finish 12th - Aug 11, 2012
- India come from behind to hold South Africa 3-3, win series 3-1 - Jan 22, 2012
- Olympic hockey qualifiers: Indian men, women in finals (Roundup) - Feb 25, 2012
- India lose to Spain in second hockey Test - Jul 08, 2012
- India, Spain share six goals in first Test - Jul 06, 2012
- Hockey Olympic qualifier: Indian men close to reaching final; women in tight spot (Roundup) - Feb 23, 2012
- Hockey Olympic qualifer: Indian women go down 2-5 to South Africa - Feb 22, 2012
- India beat South Africa 4-2 to enter Champions Challenge final - Dec 03, 2011
- India lose to Britain in tri-nation hockey - Jul 15, 2012
- India thrash Poland 4-2, face France in final (Lead) - Feb 24, 2012
- Olympics hockey: India crushed 1-4 by South Korea - Aug 05, 2012
- CWG hockey: India crush Pakistan 7-4, face Australia in semis (LEAD) - Oct 10, 2010
- CWG hockey: India crush Pakistan 7-4, face England in semis (Second Lead, superseeding earlier story) - Oct 10, 2010
- Olympic qualifiers: Indian men thrash Italy 8-1, women beat Canada 4-1 (Roundup) - Feb 19, 2012
- Hapless India thrashed by New Zealand in Azlan Shah opener - May 24, 2012
Tags: 53rd, austin smith, defensive game, drummond, field goal, field goals, four minutes, goal scorers, haley, indians, london olympics, opponents, penalty corners, penalty stroke, raghunath, south africa, strikers, target, three minutes, time india