India beat Pak by 5 wickets to take 1-0 leadNovember 14th, 2007 - 8:31 am ICT by admin
After winning the toss this morning, Pakistani captain Shoaib Malik decided to bat first on what looked as a flat batting wicket. But after the opening stand of 44 runs between Kamran Akmal and Salman Butt, the Pakistani batsmen never really looked to trouble the Indian bowlers, as they kept losing wickets at regular intervals.
Thanks to Mohammad Yousuf’s 88-ball 83, they managed to post a decent target of 240.
Chasing it, India did not have a good start as they lost opener Sachin Tendulkar (4) in the third over at the total of 14 runs. However, the innings was consolidated by Saurav Ganguly (39) and Gautam Gambhir (44) with the second-wicket partnership of 82 runs. After their departure, skipper Mahendra Singh Dhoni (63) and Yuvraj Singh (58) had a partnerships of 105 runs to make it sure that the hosts ease to a comfortable victory.
Dhoni was declared the Man of the Match.
Second match will a day-night game at Mohali on Thursday. (ANI)
- India march into World Cup final with emphatic win over Pakistan (Roundup) - Mar 31, 2011
- Awesome Pakistan breeze into World Cup semifinals - Mar 24, 2011
- West Indies shot out for 112, Afridi takes four wickets (Lead) - Mar 23, 2011
- India wins toss, elects to bat first against Pak in Mohali encounter - Mar 30, 2011
- India pin hopes on batsmen, Pakistan on bowlers (Roundup) - Mar 29, 2011
- Scoreboard of India's innings against Pakistan - Mar 30, 2011
- Aamer fires Pakistan to T20 series sweep over Australia - Jul 07, 2010
- It will be India's batting vs Pakistan's bowling (Preview) - Mar 29, 2011
- Gambhir lashes out at Afridi - Jul 16, 2011
- Clinical Pakistan beat Zimbabwe to make World Cup quarters (Roundup) - Mar 15, 2011
- (VM) India record maiden World Cup semifinal victory at home (Statistical highlights) - Mar 31, 2011
- Kamran may replace Ahmed as Pak's opening batsman against Australia: Afridi - Mar 16, 2011
- Afridi blames Pak batsmen for T20 loss against Windies - Apr 23, 2011
- We are backing ourselves to chase any total: Dhoni - Oct 21, 2011
- Pakistan lurch to narrow three wicket win over Australia to level series 1-1 - Jul 24, 2010
Tags: gautam gambhir, india beat, international encounters, kamran akmal, mahendra singh dhoni, match, mohali, mohammad yousuf, narrow victories, sachin tendulkar, salman butt, saurav ganguly, shoaib malik, target, time pakistan, wicket partnership, wickets, yuvraj singh