India beat New Zealand in last hockey test. seal seriesMarch 1st, 2009 - 1:15 pm ICT by ANI
Auckland (New Zealand), Mar.1 (ANI): India won the fourth men’’s hockey test 2-0 against New Zealand in Auckland today to secure the series by the same margin.
Second-half strikes by Sandeep Singh and Dilip Tirkey settled the issue a day after the teams fought out a 1-1 draw at the same venue in the third international.
They were perhaps fortunate not to be behind at half-time after the New Zealanders felt they should have had a goal two minutes before the interval.
New Zealand were instead awarded a stroke after the ball hit an Indian body, stopping a certain goal.
The Indians successfully appealed on the grounds that the ball had hit a New Zealand foot earlier.
A 16-yard hit was awarded to the Indians, much to the consternation of a parochial crowd.
India played a little one dimensionally in the first half and New Zealand’’s cover defence was equal to their attacks, with Stephen Graham making some crucial saves in goal.
The second half was a different story altogether with India picking up the pressure.
Dilip Tirkey nailed a penalty corner strike in the 43rd minute as the umpiring calls continued to go against the Black Sticks.
From there the Indians opened up and were spectacular on the counter attack.
Expert drag flicker Sandeep Singh scored the match winner in the 67th minute after finding the top left of the goal with apparent ease.
Inexperience showed at times in the New Zealand side, with too many players guilty of turnovers which the polished Indians capitalised on. (ANI)
- Olympic hockey qualifiers: Indian men, women in finals (Roundup) - Feb 25, 2012
- India thrash Poland 4-2, face France in final (Lead) - Feb 24, 2012
- Olympic qualifiers: Indian men thrash Italy 8-1, women beat Canada 4-1 (Roundup) - Feb 19, 2012
- Olympics hockey: India suffer another reverse, lose 1-3 to Kiwis - Aug 01, 2012
- Asian Games hockey: India beat Pakistan, reach semi-finals (Lead) - Nov 20, 2010
- I have a plan to hoodwink the Europeans: Drag-flicker Sandeep Singh (Interview) - Jun 30, 2012
- CWG men's hockey: India in final with thrilling win over England - Oct 12, 2010
- Dilip Tirkey's presence at camp is a boon: Sandeep Singh - Feb 07, 2012
- Indian hockey team benefits from video referrals - Feb 27, 2012
- India trounce China 5-0 in Asian Champions hockey - Sep 03, 2011
- Indian women beat Canada 4-1 in Olympic hockey qualifiers (Lead) - Feb 19, 2012
- Olympic qualifiers: Indian men's hockey team thrash France 6-2, women win 3-0 (Roundup) - Feb 21, 2012
- Azlan Shah hockey: Clinical India beat Malaysia 5-2 - May 09, 2011
- India's men's and women's hockey teams chasing Olympic dream - Feb 17, 2012
- Sandeep, Sardar recalled in national team for Australia tour - Sep 29, 2011
Tags: black sticks, consternation, crowd, different story, dilip, flicker, India, indians, inexperience, interval, match, new zealand, new zealanders, sandeep singh, strikes, stroke, tirkey, turnovers, two minutes, venue