India asks IOC to drop Dow as Olympic sponsorFebruary 27th, 2012 - 11:57 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 27 (IANS) The Indian government Monday asked International Olympic Committee (IOC) president Jacques Rogge to remove Dow Chemicals as the sponsor of the 2012 London Games.
In a letter to the IOC, the sports ministry sought the immediate removal of Dow, which owns Union Carbide that was responsible for the 1984 Bhopal gas tragedy.
The sports ministry had to step in after the IOC rejected the Indian Olympic Association’s (IOA) appeal to remove Dow.
In a letter to the IOC president, sports ministry’s joint secretary Rahul Bhatnagar said: “We cherish and celebrate the noble ideals of the Olympic Movement. India stands firmly committed to these ideals and the values they promote of friendship, unity, brotherhood and compassion.”
“We strongly believe that there is no better medium than sports to inculcate and foster the feeling of friendship and solidarity among the people of the world. This being so, we are dismayed that the IOC has not respected the sentiments of a large group of stakeholders, including Olympians, and withdrawn its association with Dow Chemicals.”
The ministry asked the IOC to cancel the sponsorship deal for the sake of human rights.
“The government of India would therefore strongly urge the IOC to go beyond lesser considerations and in the larger interest of the ideals of human rights, compassion and solidarity, immediately take steps to cancel the sponsorship of Dow Chemicals for the London Olympics, thereby apart from assuaging the feelings of millions of people, send a strong message to the world over for upholding the noble ideals of the Olympic movement,” the ministry’s letter said.
- India has not asked athletes to boycott Olympics: Maken - Mar 29, 2012
- IOA president asks IOC to remove Dow as Olympics sponsor - Dec 20, 2011
- IOA not to boycott London Olympics, to protest against Dow - Dec 15, 2011
- IOC defends Dow, IOA doesn't agree (Lead) - Feb 16, 2012
- IOC defends Dow, will remain Olympic sponsor - Feb 16, 2012
- Olympics boycott is on the table, claims Bhopal NGO - Feb 27, 2012
- Bhopal gas victims write to IOC against Dow - Feb 29, 2012
- We have not thought of pulling out of Olympics: Maken - Mar 21, 2012
- Bhopal victims write to PM on Dow sponsoring London Olympics - Aug 11, 2011
- IOC-OCA observers not acceptable to IOA: Malhotra - Sep 13, 2012
- Bhopal survivors burn effigy of IOC president - Feb 19, 2012
- Boycott Olympics if Dow stays, says Chouhan - Jan 29, 2012
- Protest Dow's sponsorship of London Olympics, Chouhan urges Maken - Nov 24, 2011
- IOA to convey concern of Bhopal victims to London organisers - Dec 06, 2011
- MPs urged to seek Dow's removal as London Olympics sponsor - Dec 05, 2011
Tags: bhatnagar, bhopal gas tragedy, dow chemicals, government of india, indian government, indian olympic association, international olympic committee, ioc president, large group, london games, london olympics, message to the world, noble ideals, olympians, olympic movement, olympic sponsor, rahul, sponsorship deal, sports ministry, union carbide