India a safe place: Steve WaughJune 19th, 2009 - 7:52 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 19 (IANS) The Australians might have had security concerns about India, but their legendary cricketer Steve Waugh feels the country is a safe place.
The security issues in India were raised post Mumbai terror attacks with Tennis Australia (TA) last month forfeiting their crucial Davis Cup-tie against India, which was to take place in Chennai from May 8-10.
Australia have also expressed apprehensions for the 2010 Delhi Commonwealth Games. Australian officials recently made a trip to India to assess the security situation for the mega-event.
Waugh, a frequent traveller to India whose association with leprosy children of Udayan, in suburban Kolkata, is well known, Friday said the Australian Davis Cup team could have traveled to India.
“I can’t say on the behalf of the security personnels. All I can say that I was in Mumbai just couple of days after November attacks and I had no problems. In my opinion, India is safe and when you look back you feel they could have come,” Waugh said at the
launch of the Steve Waugh Foundation Global and it’s association with 6UP, the SMS service.
- Tennis Australia cites stolen CWG security plan for pull-out - Feb 20, 2010
- Delhi Police 'rubbish' Tennis Australia's claim of stolen CWG plans (Lead) - Feb 20, 2010
- India declared winner after Australia forfeits Davis Cup tie (Intro Roundup) - Apr 26, 2009
- Lee lynchpin of Oz World Cup attack: Chappell, Waugh - Feb 07, 2011
- Tennis federation to send security experts to Chennai (Lead) - Mar 26, 2009
- Australia mulling boycott of Davis Cup tie - Apr 18, 2009
- Play or forfeit Davis Cup tie: AITA to Australia - Mar 27, 2009
- India need to win the big matches: Steve Waugh - Feb 11, 2011
- Australia safe for Indian students: Waugh - Jul 26, 2010
- Waugh rules out coaching Indian cricket team - Feb 15, 2011
- Best fielding side to win World Cup: Cricket legends - Feb 14, 2011
- TA to appeal if suspended for Davis Cup pull-out - Apr 26, 2009
- Australia to appeal against Chennai as Davis Cup venue - Apr 19, 2009
- 'Ponting must aspire to win instead of defending World Cup', says Steve Waugh - Feb 20, 2011
- Indian sports fraternity slams Australia's Davis Cup pullout (Roundup) - Apr 25, 2009
Tags: apprehensions, australian officials, australians, chennai, commonwealth games, cricketer, davis cup, davis cup team, davis cup tie, frequent traveller, kolkata, leprosy, safe place, security concerns, security situation, sms service, steve waugh, tennis australia, terror attacks, udayan