IMG-Reliance plan football academy, stadiums’ make-over (Lead)August 23rd, 2012 - 9:51 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 23 (IANS) All India Football Federation’s (AIFF) marketing partners IMG-Reliance Thursday proposed a centre for excellence in Baroda and have also come up with a plan to refurbish stadiums in the country.
IMG-Reliance during a meeting of the I-League Committee here made a presentation on the “Road map for Indian football”.
An IMG-Reliance official told IANS that they plan to come up with an academy at the IPCL township in Baroda.
“We have four-five grounds inside the IPCL township in Baroda. We have proposed to the AIFF that we can build a centre of excellence there. It will be of international standard and we want to make it the best in the country,” the official said.
Talks are on with two leading international groups which have experience in building academies for the centre of excellence. IMG-Reliance remain hopeful that the centre of excellence would supply talent to the national team.
They have also identified stadiums in different part of the country which they would refurbish to host international matches.
“We have identified some stadiums in India and have plans to refurbish them so that we can host international matches. At present, there are only two-three stadiums that can host international matches in India,” the official said.
The official also said that they are working on the modalities of the proposed city-based league and contrary to reports they have the support from the I-League clubs as well.
“Today we made a presentation on the franchise based football tournament. We are happy with the response from the clubs and hopefully we can make a change to Indian football,” the official said.
- IMG-Reliance plan centre of excellence for football - Aug 23, 2012
- AIFF, clubs spar over I-League status - Aug 23, 2012
- AIFF to discuss proposed new I-League format with clubs - Feb 20, 2012
- AIFF at loggerheads with I-League clubs - Feb 21, 2012
- Big time football returns to Nehru Stadium with I-League - Apr 15, 2011
- AIFF allows I-League clubs to register four overseas players - Jul 14, 2011
- AIFF to sign Rs.700 crore deal with Reliance-IMG - Dec 08, 2010
- AIFF signs Rs.700 crore deal with RIL-IMG - Dec 09, 2010
- I-League clubs skip last meeting of ad-hoc committee - May 04, 2012
- FIFA gives India checklist for hosting U-17 World Cup - Sep 07, 2012
- AIFF to call off its deal with Zee, RIL-IMG to step in - Sep 13, 2010
- Pune FC-Blackburn Rovers clash set for Oct 7 - Sep 26, 2011
- I-League kicks off without title sponsor, TV coverage - Dec 02, 2010
- Champions Dempo aim to end I-League on high note - May 04, 2012
- AIFF approaches Jindal, Videocon to sponsor I-League - Nov 12, 2010
Tags: aiff, baroda, centre of excellence, contrary, football academy, football federation, football tournament, franchise, India, indian football, international groups, league clubs, league committee, marketing partners, modalities, New Delhi, reliance, road map, stadiums