‘I’m done with boxing’, says Mike TysonOctober 28th, 2010 - 1:57 pm ICT by ANI
London, Oct 28(ANI): American boxing legend Mike Tyson has finally dispelled any notion that he will make a return to the ring.
Tyson had retired from professional boxing in 2006 after Danny Williams and Kevin McBride knocked him out in consecutive matches.
“I’m done with boxing. I was a fighter for long enough. I know Holyfield still fights and every boxer has a right to fight to earn money to pay for his family, but it is not my thing. I’ve had it,” the Daily Express quoted Tyson, as saying.
“I’ve had my time. And anyway, who has come back from years out of fighting and been successful?” he added.
Nicknamed ‘Iron Mike’, Tyson is considered to have been one of the greatest heavyweight boxers of all time, as he holds the record of being the youngest boxer to win the WBC, WBA and IBF world heavyweight titles.
Throughout his career, Tyson became well-known for his ferocious and intimidating boxing style as well as his controversial behavior both inside and outside the ring.
He was the first heavyweight boxer to hold the WBA, WBC and IBF titles simultaneously.
Earlier, Tyson had said that he wants to forget his hard-man image earned in the ring and become a missionary.
“I want to count for something. Not in the name of God or any religion, but in the name of self-dignity. I feel I’m a clown, I’m a joke. I just want to do nice things so my kids can respect me,” the 44-year-old had said.
Tyson credits his third wife Kiki for making him a better person and a decent husband.
“I realized that if I wanted to have a healthy life and if someone was willing to love me, then she deserved the best I had to offer, physically, emotionally and spiritually. In order to make this work all the other stuff has to die,” Tyson said. (ANI)
- Ex-boxing champ Tyson to become a missionary to earn respect from his kids - Aug 16, 2010
- Iron Mike's heart not in boxing anymore, says Holyfield ruling out re-match - Sep 17, 2010
- Mike Tyson turns vegetarian - May 13, 2010
- Haye wins 'Battle of Britain' in style to retain WBA heavyweight title - Nov 14, 2010
- I'll retire if I don't get fights: Holyfield - Sep 12, 2012
- Tyson admits getting drunk after every fight - Dec 04, 2010
- I will hit Wladimir Klitschko in ring to make Vitali come out and fight: Haye - Mar 07, 2011
- Trying to heal daughter's death: Tyson - Aug 14, 2009
- Tyson asks Haye to fight Klitschko brothers to become best heavyweight boxer - Sep 02, 2010
- I've found happiness with pigeons: Mike Tyson (Interview) (With Images) - Jun 08, 2011
- World champion Haye on mission to unify world heavyweight title belts - Feb 08, 2010
- Haye to practice by hitting out at Klitschko's dummy - Apr 22, 2011
- WBC champ Klitschko itching to 'shut Haye's big mouth' - May 31, 2010
- Klitschko brothers vow to send WBA champ Haye into retirement - Dec 27, 2010
- Mike Tyson welcomes his new baby Morocco Elijah Tyson - Jan 28, 2011
Tags: better person, boxing legend, clown, daily express, danny williams, greatest heavyweight boxers, hard man, heavyweight boxer, ibf, iron mike tyson, kevin mcbride, kiki, man image, mike tyson, missionary, name of god, nice things, professional boxing, wba, world heavyweight titles