I’m closing in on world-beater Zhou: Russian weightlifterAugust 16th, 2012 - 7:07 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, Aug 16 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Russian weightlifter Tatiana Kashirina Thursday said she is satisfied with her Olympic silver medal because her performance took her one step closer to beating her Chinese rival Zhou Lulu.
Zhou won gold with a world record total of 333kg in the women’s unlimited weight category at the Olympics earlier this month.
Kashirina came second in a record-breaking duel to Zhou, who also beat the Russian to gold at last year’s world championships.
The Russian lifted a total of 332 kg but failed in the final lift that would have given her gold, although she left with a world record of 151 kg in the snatch.
“As for Zhou Lulu, I have come closer to her,” Kashirina said.
“At the world championships I lost to her by a fair margin, seven kilograms if I’m not mistaken, and now I’ve only lost by a kilogram and it wasn’t that easy for her.”
“She is also heavier than me, 28kg heavier.”
Chinese officials could yet find a stronger lifter for the category, Kashirina warned.
“If this time they have put this girl to compete, next time they might put someone even stronger.”
Kashirina, 21, has won every European title since 2009 and won the 2010 world championship, when Zhou did not compete.
- South Korea aims 10 gold medals at London Olympics - Apr 19, 2012
- Olympic weightlifting: Podobedova lifts Kazakhstan to gold - Aug 04, 2012
- Olympics: Back injury dashes Russian weightlifter's hopes - Aug 04, 2012
- China's Li lifts Olympic gold in 58 kg, breaks record - Jul 31, 2012
- Weightlifting: Kazakh prodigy takes gold, world record - Jul 29, 2012
- Galstyan wins first gold for Russia in judo - Jul 28, 2012
- Maneza clinches Kazakhstan's 2nd weightlifting gold - Aug 01, 2012
- Olympic weightlifting: Record-breaker Lu lifts gold - Aug 02, 2012
- Russian lifter mysteriously pulls out of Olympics - Aug 04, 2012
- Olympics: North Korean weight-lifter breaks world record - Jul 31, 2012
- Olympic athletics: Russia's Lashmanova wins walk in record time - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympic weightlifting: China's Lin Qinfeng lifts 69-kg gold - Aug 01, 2012
- Olympic weightlifting: Polish underdog bags gold - Aug 04, 2012
- China's Wang finally lifts Olympic gold - Jul 29, 2012
- 'Russia can win Olympic volleyball' - May 29, 2012
Tags: chinese officials, dg, gold, kg, kilogram, kilograms, lifter, lulu, moscow, olympic silver medal, olympics, ria novosti, russian weightlifter, tatiana, weight category, world championships, world record, zhou