‘I’m an alcoholic, I’m ill, but I’m not a bad person,’ says GazzaAugust 23rd, 2010 - 3:19 pm ICT by ANI
London, Aug.23 (ANI): In an emotional interview, former England footballer Paul Gascoigne a.k.a. Gazza has candidly acknowledged that he is an alcoholic, a person who is ill, but adds that he is not a bad individual.
“I’m an alcoholic, but that doesn’t make me a bad person. It’s just someone that is ill and trying to get better. I cannot change what I am. I’m always going to be the Gazza the fans love to see and the Paul Gascoigne just my family get to see,” The Sun quoted Gazza, as saying. He, however, admits that if he can apply the same discipline now as he did during his football career, he would be just fine.
“That’s one thing you can’t knock me for. Every time I fall off the wheel, I get back on it and give it my best shot and that’s all I can do. If I put in the same effort now that I did in my football training then I should be OK,” he said.
Two months ago, the former England, Newcastle and Spurs ace was in a horrific car crash as a passenger in a Vauxhall Astra that slammed into a wall.
The accident at Newcastle’s Quayside was so bad that rescuers feared Gazza was dead.
In an exclusive interview with Sky Sports News HD, which launches today, he proposes opening an academy to help get kids into the Premier League. (ANI)
- Rescuers feared Gascoigne was dead after car crash - Jun 15, 2010
- 'I've already died twice,' says Gazza - Mar 11, 2011
- HobNob munching Gazza says cheating death in crash beat booze addiction - Aug 21, 2010
- Gazza looks like 'Elephant Man' after car smash - Jun 17, 2010
- Gazza ticked off after street kick about with nephew - Aug 24, 2010
- Witness' failure to attend court delays Gazza 'drik-driving' care for 3rd time - Dec 14, 2010
- No end to 'glazed and legless' Gazza's drinking woes - Nov 05, 2010
- Facing jail time for drunk driving, Gazza now wants to be an actor - Nov 10, 2010
- Gazza feels gutted about criminal Moat's death - Jul 12, 2010
- Gazza's praises Beardsley for taking him under his wings - Nov 27, 2009
- 'Sick man' Gazza wants 12-week rehab programme to work - Jul 22, 2010
- Gazza's eight-week jail sentence suspended by Newcastle court - Dec 10, 2010
- Manager Hoddle was right to axe me from France 98: Gazza - Aug 23, 2010
- Gazza's drink-driving charge dropped - Feb 11, 2011
- Gascoigne back in rehab following cocaine arrest - Oct 25, 2010
Tags: ace, bad person, car crash, discipline, england footballer, football career, football training, gazza, hd, london, newcastle, paul gascoigne, premier league, quayside, rescuers, sky sports, sky sports news, spurs, vauxhall astra, wheel