Ill Sharapova out of Canadian OpenAugust 9th, 2012 - 1:04 am ICT by IANS
London, Aug 8 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Russian tennis star Maria Sharapova has been forced to withdraw from the Rogers Cup in Montreal because of a “bad stomach virus”, organisers said Wednesday.
The World No.2 picked up the bug while in London for the Olympics, where she won silver.
“It’s disappointing for our fans and for all of us, but it’s part of the game, unfortunately,” tournament director Eugene Lapierre said in a statement on the official website.
“Maria showed exceptional professionalism making the trip to Montreal, coming on site and tried to practice, despite the fact she had not been feeling well.”
Sharapova was due to play either Dutch player Arantxa Rus or US player Christina McHale in the second round after receiving a bye for the first round of the Rogers Cup, also known as the Canadian Open.
She will now be replaced by Kazakhstani World No. 57 Galina Voskoboeva.
- Wimbledon: Sharapova reaches third round - Jun 28, 2012
- Ivanovic battles past McHale at Olympics - Jul 28, 2012
- US Open: Vesnina upsets Peng - Aug 29, 2012
- Zvonareva withdraws from US Open - Aug 22, 2012
- I feared I was pregnant: Sharapova - Aug 28, 2012
- Pennetta crashes out at Wimbledon - Jun 25, 2012
- Olympics: Sharapova sweats to oust Robson in round 2 - Aug 01, 2012
- Sharapova to cut her hair only on retiring - Jun 09, 2012
- Sharapova proud of her Russian origin - May 30, 2012
- Sharapova reaches US Open semi-finals - Sep 06, 2012
- Radwanska advances at Wimbledon, Penetta knocked out (Lead) - Jun 25, 2012
- Maria Sharapova's new haircut sparks internet frenzy - Apr 18, 2012
- Olympic tennis: Williams destroys Sharapova to win gold - Aug 04, 2012
- Olympic tennis: Williams sets up final with Sharapova - Aug 04, 2012
- Wimbledon: Venus Williams crashes out, Djokovic advances (Second Lead) - Jun 25, 2012
Tags: christina mchale, dutch player, galina voskoboeva, game, lapierre, london, maria sharapova, olympics, organisers, professionalism, ria novosti, rogers cup, rus, ss, stomach virus, tennis star, tournament director, trip to montreal