Ikhwan achieves double in JK Racing Asia SeriesSeptember 25th, 2011 - 7:48 pm ICT by IANS
Singapore, Sept 25 (IANS) Malaysia’s Afiq Ikhwan claimed his sixth straight win in the JK Racing Asia Series at the Marina Bay Circuit here Sunday.
The 19-year-old crossed the finish line completing nine laps in 27 minutes, 10.178 seconds in an action packed race.
Malaysian Nabil Jeffri took his Petronas Mofaz Racing car across the finish line in second and was able to make up some added points after a disappointing weekend in Sentul.
Australian Duvashen Padayachee claimed a podium finish for the first time this season by coming in third. The Eurasia Motorsport driver was all smiles and thanked his sister for being his lucky charm and his family for the tremendous support.
Two Safety Car periods interrupted the race, the first in Lap 2 when Akash Nandy hit the wall and had to be cleared up. The second Safety Car Period was called after Iran Ilyas, who was trying to make a move on seventh placed Calvin Seibl, touched and both suffered front wing damage.
For Ikhwan, despite the interrupted race, he managed to stay focused on the race and claimed his second win of the 12th round here.
“I am very happy this weekend we have a good car, a good team and everybody worked together perfectly. I had a good start. I managed to pull a gap after turn 5 and focused on my driving, keep my time consistent. Then suddenly I saw the Safety Car, again twice like yesterday, can’t do anything much, that’s racing.
“I saw Lucas and I saw his front wing, then when I crossed the start/finish line I saw the Technical Issue Flag for Lucas, which was a relief,” said the Meritus.GP driver at the post race press conference.
Ikhwan is still second in the points table, just nine points behind Lucas Auer, heading into the third and final Formula One support race weekend, scheduled in India at the end of October.
The JK Racing Asia Series continues in India at Buddh International Circuit during the inaugural 2011 Formula One India Grand Prix Oct 28-30.
- Double for Ikhwan in JK Racing Asia Series - Jul 24, 2011
- Ikhwan scores a double in 3rd round of JK Racing Asia Series - Jul 23, 2011
- Keen battle likely in JK Racing Asia series - Sep 22, 2011
- JK Racing: Khushlani grabs eighth spot - Sep 09, 2012
- JK Asia Racing: Ikhwan scores fifth win - Sep 24, 2011
- JK Racing: Khushlani bags second spot - Sep 10, 2012
- Eurointernational post 1-2 finish in JK Asia Series - May 26, 2012
- Nabil dominates JK races - Jul 02, 2012
- Khushlani finishes impressive sixth in JK Racing Asia Series - Oct 29, 2011
- JK Asia Series to run in Europe (Lead) - May 24, 2012
- Classy Balu leaves field cold in national racing - Jul 28, 2012
- Motorsports: Saran marks comeback with win - Aug 25, 2012
- Mohit maintains lead in JK Tyre Junior Cup Formula Maruti racing - Apr 23, 2011
- Veterans rule the roost at JK Races - Aug 21, 2011
- Double for Ameya, Diljith in JK Tyre National Racing - Jul 17, 2011