Ijaz Butt named new Pakistsn Cricket Board chiefOctober 7th, 2008 - 7:02 pm ICT by IANS
Karachi, Oct 7 (IANS) Former Pakistan Test cricketer Ijaz Butt has been appointed new chairman of the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB), sources in the sports ministry said Tuesday.President Asif Ali Zardari - PCB’s chief patron - has chosen Butt as the new PCB chief, ending weeks of suspense that gripped Pakistan cricket since the resignation of former board chairman Nasim Ashraf in August, sources told IANS.
Ashraf stepped down as the PCB chief just hours after General Pervez Musharraf resigned as Pakistan’s president.
Butt, 70, played eight Tests for Pakistan and has since then occupied several key positions in the national cricket set-up. He served as the secretary of the PCB then known as the Board for Control of Cricket in Pakistan (BCCP). He also served as the manager of the Pakistan team. More recently, he was one of the members of the PCB Governing Board.
He was always the front-runner to take over as the PCB chief as he has the backing of Defence Minister Ahmed Mukhtar, who is Butt’s close relative.
Butt is regarded as a hard task-master and is expected to carry out drastic changes in the Pakistan cricket set-up after taking over as the PCB chairman later this week.
- Zardari appoints close friend as PCB chief,Butt shown the door - Oct 12, 2011
- Growing demand for Ijaz Butt's removal as PCB chief - Sep 21, 2011
- Gilani to press for PCB chief Ijaz Butt's dismissal with Zardari - Nov 03, 2010
- Repairing country's cricket image new PCB chief's top priority - Oct 13, 2011
- Zardari urged to review PCB chief Ashraf's appointment - Nov 17, 2011
- 'Shape up or ship out' ultimatum issued to beleaguered PCB boss Butt - Oct 04, 2010
- PCB chief Butt to seek Zardari's guidance on management crisis - Oct 15, 2010
- "No plan to change PCB boss as Butt doing 'pretty good job'": Zardari - Nov 09, 2010
- Pak senator urges Supreme Court to take notice of 'spot-fixing' scandal - Sep 05, 2010
- Miandad threatens to quit PCB - Feb 02, 2010
- PCB chief Butt to seek extension for another term - Oct 16, 2010
- Whatmore, Rhodes are contenders for Pakistan coach: Ashraf - Nov 29, 2011
- Pakistan parliament panel wants PCB chief out in 24 hours - Oct 11, 2010
- Beleaguered Butt's axing from PCB chief's post 'imminent' - Jan 14, 2010
- PCB appoints Bari as interim COO - Sep 01, 2009