IHF vice president quits after hockey debacleMarch 10th, 2008 - 2:06 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, March 10 (IANS) Indian Hockey Federation (IHF) vice president Narendra Batra quit Monday after the country’s shocking failure to make it to the Olympics and begged the government to take over IHF to save the game. “I have resigned in disappointment,” Batra told IANS after eight times Olympic champions India lost 0-2 to Britain in the final of Olympic qualifier in Chile and failed to qualify for the mega event for the first time in 80 years.
“The government should take over the association for the next 10 years and run it through former sportspersons and administrators to bring hockey back on track,” Batra pleaded.
Asked if IHF president K.P.S. Gill should share the blame and also resign, Batra said: “Morally, he should but he will not do so. He is stubborn.”
The rift in IHF became public with Batra alleging that Gill and IHF secretary general K. Jyothikumaran were not on talking terms.
“I know that Gill and Jyothikumaran are not talking to one another for six to seven months. Hockey is in a mess,” he said.
Batra also blamed coach Joaquim Carvalho for the debacle at Santiago.
“Joaquim was a compromise choice as coach. I will blame him for the debacle. But I will not blame the players because they live in sub-standard conditions, wash their own clothes and get almost no allowance,” he said.
- IHF rejects IOA's three-member panel - Aug 30, 2012
- FIH gives a month to HI and IHF to work out merger formula - Feb 26, 2012
- Gill turns down merger proposal with HI - Jun 24, 2011
- KPS Gill holds AGM of superseded IHF - Apr 25, 2010
- HI to act tough on Bhopal nationals' participants - Jul 04, 2010
- Gill vows to fight back after High Court quashes IOC order - May 21, 2010
- Hockey India paid higher hosting fee for World Cup: Gill - Jun 08, 2011
- FIH president Negre to meet HI, IHF next week - Apr 07, 2012
- We can solve the hockey mess through talks: K.P.S. Gill - Jul 28, 2010
- IHF seeks changes to sports ministry's proposal on unification - Jun 21, 2011
- Sports ministry calls HI and IHF to form unified hockey body - Jun 09, 2011
- Coach Carvalho quits after hockey debacle - Mar 10, 2008
- HI, IHF talks suspended over contentious issues - Jul 15, 2011
- IHF seeks seven days to reply to sports ministry's proposal - Jun 14, 2011
- Six top Indian hockey players pull out of WSH - Nov 30, 2011
Tags: 10 years, batra, carvalho, compromise, debacle, disappointment, eight times, ihf, indian hockey federation, joaquim, narendra, New Delhi, olympic champions, olympic qualifier, olympics, own clothes, santiago, secretary general, seven months, vice president