If I want to be corrupt, won’t do it through friend: TharoorApril 14th, 2010 - 9:51 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 14 (IANS) Minister of State for External Affairs Shashi Tharoor Wednesday said if he had wanted to be “devious and corrupt” in investing in an Indian Premier League (IPL) team, then he would not have done it through a close friend.
“If I want to be devious and corrupt, I will not do it through somebody I am so openly close to,” said Tharoor in an interview to NDTV.
He was reacting to allegations that his close friend, Sunanda Pushkar, got shares in a company that has stake in the IPL Kochi franchise.
The IPL commissioner, Lalit Modi said there was no clarity over the ownership of the franchise and that Tharoor had asked him not to reveal the shareholding pattern.
Tharoor dismissed allegations that Pushkar was holding that amount in his behalf.
“It is ridiculous to say that Sunanda is my proxy. Insulting to say an attractive woman can’t be successful,” he said.
Noting that there had been perpetual media spotlight on him since he became minister, Tharoor observed: “I am discovering that I did not know about being in the public gaze. And let me tell you that it has not been pleasant.”
- Charges politically motivated, I won't resign: Tharoor (Lead) - Apr 14, 2010
- Not done anything wrong, won't resign: Tharoor - Apr 14, 2010
- Tharoor has an agenda, says Lalit Modi - Apr 16, 2010
- All quiet at Sunanda's 'Pushkar Niwas' in Jammu - Apr 14, 2010
- Done nothing wrong...I stand with my head held high: Tharoor - Apr 14, 2010
- Beleaguered Tharoor stops Tweeting - Apr 16, 2010
- Tharoor's fate uncertain, Pushkar gives up IPL stake (Intro Roundup) - Apr 18, 2010
- Mired in IPL row, Shashi Tharoor steps down - Apr 19, 2010
- Will brief PM, Sonia on IPL row: Tharoor - Apr 14, 2010
- I am a successful businesswoman, not proxy for Tharoor: Sunanda Pushkar (Lead) - Apr 14, 2010
- BJP guns for Tharoor, wants CBI to probe IPL deal (Lead) - Apr 13, 2010
- Tharoor's fate uncertain, Pushkar gives up IPL stake (Roundup) - Apr 18, 2010
- Tharoor meets Sonia, Pranab, Antony over IPL row (Lead) - Apr 15, 2010
- No misuse of my official position: Tharoor - Apr 16, 2010
- Tharoor meets Pranab, Antony over IPL row - Apr 15, 2010
Tags: allegations, april 14, attractive woman, clarity, external affairs, franchise, ipl, lalit, media spotlight, minister of state, modi, ndtv, New Delhi, premier league, proxy, public gaze, shareholding, stake