ICC’s anti-doping team to visit PakistanFebruary 8th, 2009 - 11:39 am ICT by IANS
Karachi, Feb 7 (IANS) A two-member team of the International Cricket Council’s (ICC) anti-doping commission will visit Pakistan next week to brief national cricketers and cricket officials about ICC’s strict new regulations on the subject.
The commission will arrive in Pakistan Feb 11. It will brief the players and officials about laws of World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA). The commission would hold talks with WADA officials based in Pakistan.
According to ICC’s new code of conduct, surprise dope tests could be conducted in any ICC-approved tournament. Pakistan cricket has suffered a lot in recent years because of doping scandals involving a couple of their leading cricketers.
The country’s strike bowlers - Shoaib Akhtar and Mohammad Asif - tested positive for banned anabolic steroid nandrolone during the ICC Champions Trophy in 2006 in India. Asif once again tested positive for the same drug while featuring in the inaugural season of the Indian Premier League (IPL) last May.
PCB officials say they have tightened anti-doping regulations and hope that such cases will not be repeated.
- Four cricketers of current Pak squad undergo "dope tests" in England - Sep 16, 2010
- Shoaib Akhtar on ICC's dope testing scanner - Apr 10, 2009
- Three athletes' B samples also test positive - Jul 08, 2011
- Athletics body transfers Mandeep, Juana dope cases to NADA - Jul 20, 2011
- India's athletes Mandeep, Juana fail dope tests, suspended (Lead) - Jun 30, 2011
- Crackdown on chemist shops near NIS, Patiala - Jul 06, 2011
- Punjab swoops down, cancels chemists' licences after dope taint (Lead) - Jul 06, 2011
- Mandeep blames federation for not providing team doctor - Jul 01, 2011
- Pakistan women cricketers undergo dope test - Jan 25, 2009
- ACC to enforce strict anti-doping measures during Asia Cup in Sri Lanka - Jun 12, 2010
- Another Pakistani athlete banned after testing positive for steroids - Sep 21, 2010
- Akhtar, Akmal dope-tested ahead of ICC World Cup 2011 - Feb 17, 2011
- Doping mess: Punjab suspends drug controller - Jul 07, 2011
- Shoaib Akhtar on ICC's anti-doping policy radar - Apr 11, 2009
- Indian runners Mandeep and Murmu suspended after failed dope test - Jun 29, 2011
Tags: code of conduct, cricketers, dope tests, doping scandals, icc champions trophy, inaugural season, India, international cricket council, member team, mohammad, pakistan cricket, pakistan karachi, pcb, premier league, shoaib akhtar, steroid nandrolone, surprise, wada, world anti doping agency