ICC will receive final report on banned Pak trio during Dubai meeting: Lorgat

February 13th, 2011 - 9:51 pm ICT by ANI  

Dubai, Feb 13(ANI): The International Cricket Council (ICC) will receive a final report on the successful prosecution of three Pakistan cricketers during the Executive Board’s meeting in Dubai on February 15 and 16, ICC Chief Executive Haroon Lorgat has said.

An independent tribunal, chaired by Michael Beloff, have imposed bans on former Pakistan captain Salman Butt and fast bowlers Mohammad Amir and Mohammad Asif after finding them guilty of spot-fixing charges.

The trio were charged over incidents during the Lord’s Test against England in August last year, when Britain’s ‘News of the World’ tabloid claimed the players were willing to deliberately bowl no-balls.

The tabloid had alleged that the three had colluded in a spot-fixing betting scam organized by British-based agent Mazhar Majeed.

“I am sure the Board will appreciate closure of this matter and acknowledge the good work performed by the ICC legal team and the ICC Anti Corruption and Security Unit in dealing with this complex issue,” Lorgat said.

“This has been a testing time for many of us and I am pleased that we were decisive and able to receive the independent Tribunal’s verdict and sanction before the World Cup starts.”

“At a later stage we will follow up with a detailed review and look to enhance our Anti Corruption Code and our protocols and procedures following this experience,” he added.

The ICC will also receive an update from the Pakistan Task Team. (ANI)

Related Stories

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Posted in Sports |

Subscribe