ICC U-19 World Cup: Australia march into semisAugust 19th, 2012 - 4:50 pm ICT by IANS
Townsville (Australia), Aug 19 (IANS) Australia pulled off a clinical five-wicket victory over Bangladesh Sunday to secure a spot in the semi-finals of the ICC under-19 cricket World Cup.
Bangladesh, put into bat in overcast conditions at Endeavour Park here, could only manage 171 runs.
Captain Will Bosisto (71 not out, 134b, 7×4) was again outstanding for the young Australian side.
He played patiently and maturely, combining with fellow West Australian Ashton Turner for a sixth wicket unbeaten stand of 72 runs to take his side to victory in the 45th over.
Earlier, left-handed Bangladesh opener Soumya Sarkar got the visitors off to a good start forging an opening stand of 64 with Liton Das.
The opening partnership was broken by a superb fielding effort from West Australia’s Cameron Bancroft.
Bangladesh’s middle order failed to stand up to the task losing three quick wickets in three overs and were finally bundled out in the 42nd over.
In reply, Australia got off to a wobbly start losing the wickets of Bancroft (1), Victoria’s Meyrick Buchanan (0) and New South Wales’ Kurtis Patterson (0) in the first five overs.
Bosisto and South Australia’s Travis Head combined for a crucial fifth wicket stand of 67 to get their team back on track, until Head (44) was caught by Abu Jayed at deep square leg.
Bosisto said he was very pleased to be in the semis.
“I think I played my role in the middle order and got us over the line, but we made it hard for ourselves losing a few early wickets, so that is something we will be working on for our next match.
“We just managed to nudge the runs around and eventually we got on top of them,” he said.
Australia will meet South Africa in the first semi-final at Tony Ireland Stadium Tuesday.
- U-19 World Cup: Australia beat South Africa, enter final - Aug 21, 2012
- U-19 World Cup: Australia beat England by six wickets - Aug 11, 2012
- Scoreboard: India vs Australia, U-19 World Cup Final - Aug 26, 2012
- ICC U-19 World Cup Final: Australia lock horns with India (Preview) - Aug 25, 2012
- ICC U-19 World Cup: Australia and South Africa set for semifinal clash (Lead) - Aug 19, 2012
- 16 teams named for next month's U-19 cricket World Cup - Jul 12, 2012
- India win U-19 World Cup as Chand-Patel overpower Australia (Lead) - Aug 26, 2012
- U-19: Australia, Pakistan, Windies win - Aug 13, 2012
- U-19 World Cup: India pip Pakistan to enter semis (Lead) - Aug 20, 2012
- South Africa beat New Zealand to finish third in U-19 cricket - Aug 25, 2012
- U-19 World Cup: India set up title clash with Australia (Lead) - Aug 23, 2012
- U-19 World Cup: Pakistan on track for worst finish - Aug 22, 2012
- U-19 victory: Unmukt Chand hails team effort - Aug 26, 2012
- Ryder-Oram plot South Africa's downfall, take New Zealand into semis (Roundup) - Mar 26, 2011
- U-19 World Cup: India bounce back beating Zimbabwe - Aug 14, 2012
Tags: buchanan, cameron bancroft, cricket world cup, endeavour, icc under 19 cricket world cup, jayed, kurtis, liton, meyrick, new south wales, overcast conditions, semi finals, semis, soumya sarkar, south australia, square leg, townsville australia, west australia, wicket victory, wickets