ICC Twenty20 Championship would put Pakistan back on world stage: KhanJune 1st, 2009 - 2:59 pm ICT by ANI
London, Jun.1 (ANI): Pakistan cricket captain Younus Khan is hoping the ICC World Twenty20 tournament would open the door for his side to participate in international events.
Khan said he was glad to return to the international stage, as several foreign teams have avoided touring Pakistan and cancelled their tours citing the deteriorating security situation in the country.
“It is special to be back on the world stage, especially in Twenty20 and in England, the media is here so there is lot of hope. We are suffering from not playing regularly, and no-one is coming to Pakistan,” The News quoted Khan, as saying.
He said his team would try to do better this time around, as it was defeated by arch rivals India two year ago in the final of the inaugural season of the World Twenty20 Championship.
“My confidence is that I’ll take this trophy to Pakistan,” he said, adding: “It will be an achievement for us to finish in the top four.”
Khan said his side has plenty of big hitters as well as players who can bat through the 20 overs in England’s testing conditions.
“In English conditions the new ball does seam, so you need someone like Salman Butt who can play for 20 overs, and in the middle order, we have big hitters like Shahid Afridi and Misbah-Ul-Haq,” he added. (ANI)
- 'India-Pakistan series bigger than Ashes' - Jul 17, 2012
- Axe Afridi from captaincy, reshuffle Pak team: Sarfraz Nawaz - Dec 30, 2010
- Kamran, Razzaq, Younus omitted from Pak squad for West Indies tour - Apr 06, 2011
- Misbah should be Pak World Cup captain: Sikander Bakht - Jan 12, 2011
- Pakistan drop Riaz over spot-fixing links - Nov 21, 2011
- Pakistan recall Kamran Akmal, Razzaq for World T20 - Jul 12, 2012
- Afridi wants former skipper Younis Khan to be his deputy - May 27, 2010
- It is an important match for every player: Misbah - Mar 27, 2011
- Australia, Pakistan will look to finish at top of Group A (Preview) - Mar 18, 2011
- Pak needs to take full advantage of batting powerplays, says Misbah - Mar 07, 2011
- World Cup teams: Strengths and key players - Feb 18, 2011
- Conditions in UAE will favour Pakistan: Misbah - Jan 08, 2012
- World Cup: Canada flatter to deceive, Pakistan win by 46 runs (Roundup) - Mar 04, 2011
- Afridi delays departure for Windies tour due to "some personal work" - Apr 15, 2011
- Sacking Afridi was a big mistake: Akram - May 21, 2011
Tags: afridi, arch rivals, butt, confidence, cricket captain, deteriorating security situation, england, icc twenty20, icc world twenty20, inaugural season, India, international stage, london, pakistan cricket, seam, trophy, ul haq, world stage, younus