ICC conducts surprise dope test on Shahid AfridiJune 22nd, 2009 - 4:51 pm ICT by ANI
London, June 22 (ANI): International Cricket Council (ICC) officials have conducted a surprise dope test on Shahid Afridi, who was declared player of the match in the finals of the Twenty20 World Cup against Sri Lanka at Lords on Sunday.
Dope tests are part of the ICC routine to keep a check on the usage of performance enhancing drugs.
The ICC can call any player to undergo the test procedure.
Afridi, who was called for the test after Pak’s triumphant tournament victory, is also nursing an injured ankle.
On Sunday, his unbeaten 54 took Pakistan to an eight-wicket win over Sri Lanka before thousands of exultant supporters in London.
Afridi, with his explosive batting and brisk leg-spin, was also the crucial player in the semi-final win over South Africa. (ANI)
- Younis pleads for return of international cricket to Pakistan following Twenty20 win - Jun 22, 2009
- Kohli gets two nominations for ICC Awards - Aug 13, 2012
- Swann jumps to fourth in Test rankings - Apr 08, 2012
- Afridi finds it "really difficult to prosper under the current ICC ranking system" - Apr 28, 2011
- Lahore HC moved against Pak cricket team on match-fixing charges in WC semi-final - Mar 31, 2011
- Dilshan, Tendulkar and Gambhir all rise in ICC rankings - Apr 04, 2011
- Afridi says Pakistan has "capability and firepower" to defeat Oz on Saturday - Mar 18, 2011
- Zaheer can pip Afridi as leading wicket-taker - Apr 01, 2011
- Ponting looking forward to facing 'unpredictable' Pak team on Saturday - Mar 18, 2011
- Four cricketers of current Pak squad undergo "dope tests" in England - Sep 16, 2010
- "Doosra" cannot be bowled legally: Michael Holding - Apr 27, 2011
- Sachin, Yuvraj, Zaheer selected in Team of the Tournament - Apr 03, 2011
- "Afridi is once again taking his bowling for granted": Abdul Qadir - Dec 25, 2010
- Yuvraj Player of the Tournament; Dhoni Man of the Match of World Cup final (Lead) - Apr 03, 2011
- PCB most likely to retain Afridi as Pak captain for World Cup 2011 - Feb 01, 2011
Tags: dope test, dope tests, eight wicket, international cricket council, london, match, pakistan, performance enhancing drugs, shahid afridi, south africa, sri lanka, surprise, test procedure, tournament victory, twenty20 world cup