I will be happy if athletes improve their records: Bahadur singhJuly 31st, 2012 - 5:15 pm ICT by IANS
London, July 31 (IANS) India athletics coach Bahadur Singh says he will be happy if his 14 wards better their career best performance at the London Olympics.
The Indian squad includes three jumpers and runners, four throwers and as many walkers.
“For nine of the 14 athletes, it is their first Olympics. They should make full use of this opportunity to put up good show. It is going to be a great learning experience for them,” said the coach.
Triple-jumper Ranjeeth Maheshwary is a Commonwealth Games bronze medallist and gold winner in Asian track and field meet. He qualified in ‘b’ category but now he is in good shape and can cross 70 metres, said Singh.
Triple-jumper Mayookha Johny also made through ‘b’ category. “I am also expecting her to better the national record here,” he said.
High jumper Sahana Kumari, ‘b’ qualifier, also has a chance to improve upon her own record.
Shot putter Om Prakash is Asian Champion and qualified in ‘A’ category and Bahadur was of the view that the thrower has the potential to do well at the Olympics.
According to the coach, if discus thrower Vikas Gowda, a commonwealth Games silver medallist, improves his personal best, he can achieve a respectable ranking. The same holds true for two women throwers Krishna Poonia and Seema Antil.
Regarding 800 metres runner Tintu Luka, a ‘b’ qualifier and protegee of legendary P.T.Usha, the coach opined that the young runner has got a great chance to showcase her talent at the big stage.
Bahadur was confident that Sudha Singh will improve her timing in steeple chase. “I am expecting a new national record from her,” said the coach.
Singh said marathon man Ram Singh Yadav has trained well and should put up a good show.
Gurmeet, Irfan, Baljinder and Basant Bahadur Rana are taking part in the 50 km walking event.
- Mayookha, Om Prakash win bronze in Asian Athletics (Lead) - Jul 09, 2011
- Olympics: Krishna Poonia qualifies; Mayookha, Om Prakash out (Lead) - Aug 04, 2012
- Olympics: Tintu Luka finishes sixth in 800m semis (Overall India Roundup) - Aug 10, 2012
- Olympics: Hopes pinned on boxers Mary Kom, Devendro (Overall India Roundup) - Aug 08, 2012
- India pinning hopes on Mayookha and Ram for Asian Grand Prix - May 19, 2011
- Olympic athletics: Tintu Luka fails to qualify for 800m final - Aug 10, 2012
- Steeplechase runner Sudha bags Olympic berth - Jun 08, 2012
- Olympics: Wrestler Geeta, high jumper Sahana out (India Intro Roundup) - Aug 10, 2012
- Triple jumper Mayookha out of Olympics - Aug 03, 2012
- CWG silver lining: Increased funding for Indian sport (Year after CWG) - Sep 29, 2011
- Mayookha's coach yet to get clearance for London Games - Jul 21, 2012
- Olympics: Triple jumpers fail, hockey team's pathetic show continues (India roundup) - Aug 08, 2012
- Asiad, CWG gold winner Ashwini joins dope-tainted stars (Roundup) - Jul 04, 2011
- World Championships: Discus thrower Vikas Gowda qualifies for final round - Aug 29, 2011
- Olympics: Indian triple jumper Renjith crashes out - Aug 07, 2012
Tags: asian champion, bronze medallist, commonwealth games, first olympics, gold winner, good shape, high jumper, kumari, london olympics, marathon man, p t usha, ram singh, seema antil, shot putter, silver medallist, steeple chase, sudha, tintu, triple jumper, vikas gowda