I want to have a cup of coffee with Obama: PeleMarch 3rd, 2009 - 11:19 am ICT by IANS
Rio de Janeiro, March 3 (EFE) Pele, the Brazilian considered by most soccer fans the world’s greatest player ever, has said that he is collecting a government pension, and added that he’d like to have a cup of coffee with US President Barack Obama “when he’s a little calmer”.
Edson Arantes do Nascimento, known universally as Pele, said that he officially retired in October 2008, 31 years after hanging up his cleats, adding that he was collecting a government retirement cheque of 3,000 reais (about $1,265) per month.
“I already pay half price to go to the movies and I can take the bus free,” Pele joked in his interview with the Brazilian weekly Veja magazine Sunday.
He acknowledged that, despite receiving the pension, he continues to appear at conferences and lend his image to advertising campaigns.
Among many other activities, Pele is the public face of the Santander bank at the Copa Libertadores, as well as the image of the organising committee of the Brazil 2014 World Cup, the championship that he expects to mark his “true retirement”.
Then, he hopes that “if they know how to manage” the wealth he has accumulated, his grandchildren “won’t need to work” at all during their lives.
Pele, who ended his career on the field with the New York Cosmos in 1977, said that he’s still greatly loved in the US, noting that the US embassy in Brasilia invited him to Obama’s inauguration ceremony, although he could not attend due to a pre-existing professional commitment.
“I sent (Obama) a message of congratulations and he sent me an e-mail saying he needs a lot from Brazil and he really wants to work with us. When Obama is a little calmer, without that pressure, I’ll go by to have a cup of coffee with him, like I did with Kennedy, with Nixon and with Clinton,” the soccer legend said.
- A football package at Goa festival - Nov 27, 2011
- Ceni upstages Pele as Brazil's greatest - Aug 29, 2012
- Olympic football: Pele hoping for historic Brazil victory - Aug 10, 2012
- Edmundo scores twice in farewell match with Vasco da Gama - Mar 29, 2012
- Ronaldo pleaded with me to join Corinthians: Riquelme - Jun 27, 2012
- Santos preparing offer to keep Neymar beyond 2014 - Apr 06, 2012
- Neymar dreaming of final against Boca - May 26, 2012
- Schenker, Pele in Superstars XI against Bhaichung's side - Jan 07, 2012
- Maradona calls Pele 'idiot' for comments on Messi - Jun 10, 2012
- Gang robs football legend Pele at gunpoint - Jun 23, 2008
- Neymar can surpass Messi, Maradona: Pele - Aug 19, 2012
- Bebeto joins Brazil's organising committee for 2014 World Cup - Feb 18, 2012
- Ronaldo reveals desire to become president of CBF - Mar 19, 2012
- Brazil leases airport to private consortium - Nov 29, 2011
- Cisco to invest $545 mn in Brazil - Apr 04, 2012
Tags: advertising campaigns, barack obama, brazil 2014, copa libertadores, cup of coffee, e mail, edson arantes, government pension, government retirement, inauguration ceremony, new york cosmos, organising committee, pele, professional commitment, public face, rio de janeiro, santander bank, soccer fans, soccer legend, veja magazine