I want to be England captain: GerradFebruary 26th, 2012 - 1:08 am ICT by IANS
London, Feb 25 (IANS) Liverpool captain Steven Gerrad has said he would be keen to lead the English national side for the European Championships 2012 to be co-hosted in Poland and Ukraine in June.
Gerrad could take over the armband from John Terry, who was dropped from the team due to a pending trial for racial abuse.
The Liverpool skipper led the team in the 2010 World Cup in South Africa and has said he would love to do it again. England were knocked out by Germany in the round of 16.
“If I get offered, I’ll take it and I’ll be delighted and I’ll be very proud to take it. But it’s not my decision. It’s down to, first of all, who Stuart Pearce wants to lead the team out, then whoever gets the job full time. But I want to be England captain,” Gerrad was quoted as saying by the Daily Mail.
Stuart Pearce was appointed the interim coach of England after Italian Fabio Capello resigned after disagreeing with his bosses at the FA over the decision to strip John Terry of the England captaincy pending his trial on racial abuse charges, which he denies.
Speaking about Capello’s resignation Gerrad said: Yes, I was surprised, of course. I thought he would stay until the end of the summer, until the end of his contract and then move on, so it was a bit of a surprise.”
“I don’t think it will affect the England team. We’ll get a new manager - it’s a fresh start for everyone. It may be the lift we need to have a successful summer,” he added.
Tottenham Hotspurs manager Harry Redknapp has been touted by the English media to take over the reins as the new English boss. However, with his side in third position in the English Premier League and still with a chance of winning the title, it seems highly unlikely that Redknapp will take the job.
- Capello resigns, Stuart checks in as caretaker England boss - Feb 09, 2012
- Parker to captain England against Holland - Feb 29, 2012
- Roy Hodgson to take over as England soccer manager - May 02, 2012
- Capello on a collision course with FA on Terry - Feb 06, 2012
- Terry might quit national side - Feb 04, 2012
- Robben's brace gives Holland 3-2 win over England - Mar 01, 2012
- Guardiola, Capello, Redknapp on official Russia shortlist - Jul 10, 2012
- Capello resigns as England manager - Feb 09, 2012
- England desperately needs a manager: Robben - Mar 01, 2012
- England team right behind Terry: Crouch - Mar 24, 2011
- Fabio betrays Ferdinand, says Terry will regain captain's armband - Mar 15, 2011
- Terry facing criminal charges over alleged racial slurs - Dec 22, 2011
- I need to make a permanent decision on England captaincy: Capello - Mar 16, 2011
- Lampard backs uncle Redknapp to succeed Capello as England boss - Feb 19, 2011
- Rio Ferdinand wishes new England captain Terry all the best - Mar 22, 2011
Tags: abuse charges, captain steven, daily mail, england captain, england team, english premier league, fabio capello, fresh start, harry redknapp, interim coach, john terry, london feb, racial abuse, reins, resignation, skipper, steven gerrad, stuart pearce, third position, winning the title