I want to be captain England, says CookJanuary 3rd, 2011 - 4:50 pm ICT by IANS
London, Jan 3 (IANS) England opening batsman Alistair Cook dreams of leading the team after full-time captain Andrew Strauss quits. Cook has been groomed as Strauss’ heir apparent for the past two years and stood in for him during England’s Bangladesh tour last spring.
“If it comes my way, it would be a huge honour - it would be an amazing thing to do. But I don’t crave the limelight of the captaincy - and who knows the future of the team? It was only four or five months ago everyone said I shouldn’t be opening in the Ashes. To prove people wrong is always good,” Cook was quoted as saying by The Sun.
But Cook doesn’t want to look further and is focussed on winning the Ashes series.
“I think for me right now it’s important I look no further, the whole team is very focused on this Test. It would be lovely to finish this Test tour off with some more runs and a good England performance,” he said.
- Bell, Broad might be better candidates than Cook to lead England: Vaughan - Dec 16, 2010
- Cook eyeing to succeed Strauss as England one-day captain - Apr 10, 2011
- Cook likely to be named England ODI captain - May 05, 2011
- England captain Strauss retires from professional cricket - Aug 29, 2012
- Appointing Cook is a big mistake by Flower: Greig - May 11, 2011
- Sammy backs Roach to overcome no-ball problem - May 27, 2012
- England playing with fire by resting Strauss for Bangladesh tour: Warne - Feb 09, 2010
- Cook to lead England in ODIs, Broad Twenty20 (Lead) - May 05, 2011
- Is Andrew Strauss going to be a MP? - Aug 30, 2012
- Brisbane heroics will inspire England to win Ashes series: Strauss - Nov 30, 2010
- "To nail Cook down as my successor would be wrong": Strauss - Mar 28, 2010
- England's 'long-term goal' is to attain World No.1 status: Strauss - Nov 24, 2010
- Not after Test captaincy: Alastair Cook - Jun 26, 2011
- Strauss must stop 'missing a lot tactically' to gain world No.1 Test spot: Warne - Jan 03, 2011
- Flower unimpressed by Salman Butt's speculation on Ashes - Aug 23, 2010