I seized the opportunity: Sunil NarineJuly 16th, 2012 - 4:06 pm ICT by IANS
Basseterre (St Kitts), July 16 (IANS/CMC) West Indies off-spinner Sunil Narine says he had recognised the importance of Saturday’s fourth One-Day International against New Zealand and had seized the moment.
The beguiling Trinidadian bowled brilliantly to take two wickets for 20 runs from his ten overs to help the West Indies to a 24-run victory and a winning 3-1 lead in the five-match series.
“I was doing it for the team. It was the big game of the series and I knew I just had to do the job for the team again,” Narine indicated.
“We wanted to win Wednesday and seal the series, but we ended on the wrong end, so it was very important that we came back and finished off the job.
“Normally, when I go onto the field I look at the scoreboard and see what is required of me. Sometimes it requires me to be attacking, other times I just have to keep the pressure on.
“Today I tried to keep my composure and build the pressure. We got wickets at key stages and the pressure mounted on them.”
Chasing 265 for victory, New Zealand were put on course for victory by captain Ross Taylor who stroked 110 from 115 balls, his sixth ODI century.
He smashed six four and five sixes to accelerate the scoring in the final stages of the game but Narine kept his nerve - and the brakes on the Kiwi scoring - to ensure the Windies emerged winners in a tense encounter.
“There was a great deal of effort today. We had to dig deep to come up with this win, and that made it feel that much better,” said Narine.
“To win a series at home is special. The batsmen played really well after we found ourselves in some trouble and that gave us something to bowl at. Tino kept running in and I knew my job was to remain accurate and build the pressure on the batsmen.”
- Best thrilled at role in series victory - Jul 16, 2012
- Windies overcome Taylor century, win series - Jul 15, 2012
- Narine delighted with form in wake of England slump - Jul 03, 2012
- Sammy praises 'unplayable' Narine - Jul 19, 2012
- I got five wickets thanks to Gibson's advice: Narine - Jul 18, 2012
- Narine says Windies pumped up for third ODI - Mar 20, 2012
- Narine undermines New Zealand as Windies win series 4-1 - Jul 17, 2012
- West Indies retain squad for third ODI - Jul 09, 2012
- Win has shifted momentum, says New Zealand skipper - Jul 13, 2012
- Windies, Australia to size up in Beausejour after dramatic tie - Mar 23, 2012
- West Indies eyeing first clean sweep in ten years (Preview) - Aug 02, 2012
- No need to push panic button, cautions skipper Sammy - Jul 12, 2012
- It's not all about me in West Indies, says Gayle - Jul 11, 2012
- McCullum says Black Caps need to find way to beat Windies - Jul 11, 2012
- Narine breaks into ICC top 20 - Jul 25, 2012
Tags: basseterre st kitts, big game, brakes, captain ross, cmc, composure, key stages, kiwi, narine, nerve, ross taylor, scoreboard, sixes, sixth odi, spinner, trinidadian, vm, west indies, wickets, windies