I only thought of saving my life: Yuvraj SinghSeptember 5th, 2012 - 9:37 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Sep 5 (IANS) India’s flamboyant cricketer Yuvraj Singh, who was battling with cancer, finally came out of it and now is all set to spread the awareness of early detection through a show titled ‘Zindagi Abhi Baki Hai’.
Going down the memory lane Yuvraj recalled the days when he was battling rare germ cell cancer. Yuvraj, who was the hero of India’s 2011 World Cup win, said when he was diagnosed with cancer the only thought in his mind was that of “saving his life”.
“Before cancer life was happy go lucky and the only tension was about my future, career, to win matches. But when I was diagnosed with cancer I only used to think about saving my life. When I came back home saving my life I was thankful to god for giving my life back,” Yuvraj told reporters.
Yuvraj underwent treatment in US and returned home in April. The southpaw has been selected in the India squad for the Twenty20 World Cup and will also be seen in action in the two Twenty20s against New Zealand this month.
Yuvraj said during his fight he used to have negative thoughts in his mind.
“Yes there were times when I used to have some negative thoughts. I used to think chemotherapy has spoiled my body, I thought drugs make me worse but it was good for me. All I used to think was I will go back and play for India one day,” he said.
“It was difficult I was not sure whether I will survive but I was positive that I will come out of it. One day my doctor said I have seen all your tests you are doing really well you have shown lot of courage when you will walk out of this hospital you will be a man who never had cancer. It was very motivating and inspiring to me what doctors told me so that made me more positive,” he added.
During his battle with cancer he was inspired by cycling legend Lance Armstrong, also a cancer survivor, and says he is the true hero.
“Lance Armstrong will always be a hero he is somebody who has battled cancer and comeback these kinds of things motivated. He is a real life hero. My course system was strong for me to comeback. There were very few people around me but people who really mattered,” the 30 year old said.
- Lance Armstrong still remains my hero, says Yuvraj - Aug 29, 2012
- Don't know what the future holds: Yuvraj - Apr 11, 2012
- Fit again Yuvraj back home after battling cancer (Lead) - Apr 09, 2012
- Yuvraj uncertain about future but determined to play again (Lead) - Apr 11, 2012
- Yuvraj returns home after winning battle against cancer (Roundup) - Apr 09, 2012
- Wade beat cancer to become top Australia keeper - Feb 25, 2012
- Yuvraj says he is getting better - Feb 16, 2012
- Yuvraj blames himself for delaying treatment - Feb 08, 2012
- Yuvraj feeling 'weak' after second round of chemotherapy - Mar 01, 2012
- Yuvraj says his treatment nearing completion - Mar 13, 2012
Tags: baki, cancer life, cancer survivor, chemotherapy, courage, cricketer, doctors, drugs, germ cell cancer, giving my life, India, lance armstrong, memory lane, mumbai, negative thoughts, southpaw, tension, true hero, twenty20 world cup, yuvraj singh