I lost my focus, says Heena SidhuOctober 13th, 2010 - 6:28 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 13 (IANS) Pistol shooter Heena Sidhu Wednesday said she was too exhausted before the final of the 10 metre air pistol and missed the gold by 0.3 points on the last day of the competition at the Commonwealth Games.
Patiala-girl Heena totalled 481.6 (383 qualifying, 98.6 final) to win the silver while the gold went to Malaysia’s Pei Chin Bibiana with a score of 481.9 (383 final, 98.9 qualifying). Australia’s Dina Apsandiyarova settled for the bronze with 478.8 points (380 qualifying, 98.8 final) at the Karni Singh Shooting Range.
“I was focussing too much before the final and by the time the final round took place I was completely exhausted. I started feeling cold and lost my focus. Silver was not my job today. I was only aiming for the gold. But anyway I tried hard. It was hard luck for me today,” said Heena, who had won the gold with Annu Raj Singh in the pairs’ event of the 10 metre air pistol here Monday.
Heena topped the qualifying and was also leading the pack of eight shooters till the seventh shot in the final round of the individual event. But the 21-year-old student of Bachelor of Dental Surgery buckled under pressure in the last three shots.
Asked if there was any pressure on her after the seventh shot, the 21-year-old said: “I didn’t know I was leading. My job was in front of me, so I was not calculating the scores. But even till the seventh or the eighth shot, my scores were bad. My qualification scores were also bad. In fact, I shot better scores in the qualification yesterday than today,” she said.
Heena is now targeting next month’s Asian Games in the Chinese city of Guangzhou.
“I know I can shoot better than what I did today. I have a better job to do in the Asian Games,” she said.
- CWG shooting: Heena gets silver, Jung bronze, Gagan fails to qualify - Oct 13, 2010
- CWG shooting: India surpass Melbourne medal tally, gold count falls (Roundup) - Oct 13, 2010
- Asian Shooting: Heena misses Olympic berth by fraction of a point - Jan 16, 2012
- Omkar wins bronze, silver for men and women's team - Oct 20, 2011
- Annu Raj shoots silver at World Cup, books Olympics berth - May 17, 2011
- Needed a little luck: Bindra (Second Lead) - Jul 30, 2012
- London Olympics can see a record number of Indian shooters - Jun 12, 2011
- Olympics: Shooter Gagan Narang opens medal count with bronze (Second Lead) - Jul 30, 2012
- Olympics: India hope to get lion's share from the ranges (Preview) - Jul 27, 2012
- Bindra gets India eighth quota place for the 2012 Games - Jun 18, 2011
- Asian Games: Shooters add silver, bronze to India's medals tally (Lead) - Nov 14, 2010
- Olympics: Indian shooters Heena Sidhu, Annu Raj bow out - Jul 29, 2012
- Olympics: Vijay Kumar gives India second medal from the ranges (Second Lead) - Aug 03, 2012
- Sodhi all set to defend his shooting title - Oct 03, 2011
- I am sure Gagan will do well: Bindra (Lead) - Jul 30, 2012
Tags: air pistol, annu, asian games, bibiana, chinese city, city of guangzhou, commonwealth games, dental surgery, hard luck, heena, karni, pairs event, patiala, pei, pistol shooter, raj singh, shooters, shooting range, sidhu, three shots